facebook

Dropped before meeting anyone?

by:    

Looking for clarity? My daughter was dropped on day 1 of Rush before even meeting anyone from all her top picks. Eventhough she has high grades,"it-girl" factor in Georgia's third best high-school in the state, Varsity and MVP awards and many established connections with requests to pursue their sorority. I however have no experience in the Greek Life world and so I am wondering if we did something wrong on the front end of the application. ANY ideas or insight would mean so much. Also would really appreciate some words of wisdom on how to keep my daughter from wanting to leave all together in light of not making her desired houses.

Posted By: Confused
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

She should absolutely see it through to pref and then decide if she would be happy with one of those. She needs to give them all a chance. All the sororities at Ole Miss are wonderful. No one is too good for any house. Every chapter is so large, there are groups in each that are similar to groups in others. You may have your social girls, studious girls, adventuresome girls, granola girls, bible study girls, etc...They are all great and you find your people. Cuts are probably harder this year because they want to help build new sororities and some whose have smaller memberships so that all the houses can survive and flourish going forward. There are no bad houses at Ole Miss. Sometimes this is a bit of a reality check because each house values things differently. This is a good life lesson on how to rise above TEMPORARY disappointments and be open to other possibly wonderful opportunities.

By: don't give up
#2by:    

Ole Miss rush is extremely competitive. Over half the girls probably look just like your daughter on paper. The “Top” pick legacy and friends from certain schools. There are many amazing sorority choices on campus. Tell her to complete the process and keep an open mind. Look around Ole Miss, there are gorgeous top girls in every sorority.

By: “Top”
#3by:    

It's more than likely just how the numbers fell. The biggest chapters had to cut over 60% of PNMs on Day 1.

By: Numbers
#4by:    

Just how you think it’s silly for them to not pick her off a video, it’s silly to have top choices just off a video. See it through, she might love what she’s left with and the girls that dropped her might have a good reason she wouldn’t be a good fit there.

By: G
#5by:    

Just how you think it’s silly for them to not pick her off a video, it’s silly to have top choices just off a video. See it through, she might love what she’s left with and the girls that dropped her might have a good reason she wouldn’t be a good fit there.

By: G
#6by:    

The biggest mistake is she went into rush with “desired houses” and believed stuff on this site. That is the only reason she is upset. I would be super embarrassed to transfer to another school because of recruitment-everyone she knows will think she did something horrible to get dropped and the truth is she just didn’t have connections and there are too many going through. She can always initiate at one of the houses that’s she has and if she’s really not feeling it transfer to a school where it is a chapter more to her liking. Every house at UM has had girls transfer to other chapters for a better fit. Girls go here to get a PM bid and transfer to Bama where it is harder to get. Girls that can’t het a DG bid at state come here. ADPi is considered bottom on this site but is the top house at UGA. AXO new here and established elsewhere. APhi is good up north and out west.

By: Huh

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#7by:    

Then cuts are harsh and early this year because we have a new chapter that needs to make house quota.

Your daughter and many like her are feeling the first cut but there are hundreds like her-she will find a home and will have a lot of sisters just like her. Why on earth would you encourage her to be upset about houses she doesn’t have instead of focusing on the ones she does have that actually liked her video and resume?

If she goes into rounds acting bad she will find out what it feels like to actually fall through recruitment based on your personality. That is a harder pill to swallow than a first round unseen numbers cut.

By: Hmmm
#8by:    

Drop her @ and I’ll make sure my chxoayer cuts her if they haven’t already. She sounds awful.

By: Active
#9by:    

Being dropped from a sorority in no way means that they didn't like her, or felt she was unworthy, or couldn't see her as a great member, or that she did one single thing wrong. No. It is a numbers game where each house is given a firm cut-off number that they can invite back and not one person more, so drops should not be taken personally.

Your daughter sounds like she has been high-achieving and 'top' at most everything. Well, so have all the other girls too, so your daughter is now swimming in a very different pond than in high school. This happens to tons of girls every year and is their first taste of real-world adult disappointment, and it really stings.

Remember what Winston Churchill said: "When you're going through hell, keep going."

By: winston says
#10by:    

When you look at what it takes to get into a so-called “top” sorority, with legacy status being number one, you have to ask yourself “is it even worth applying to these places”? I told my daughter to eliminate the “top” houses from her list and to focus on the ones that she identifies with in terms of her community and leadership objectives. She quickly identified the houses that just donate money to charities and the ones that actually go out into the community and help people by providing hands-on support (her preference). There are a lot of amazing things happening and people and that gets overshadowed by the obsession with status surrounding the “top” houses. It reminds me of the college application process. Everyone wants to go to so-called “top” schools but like with anything in life college, and Greek Life, is what you make of it. It doesn’t matter where you go to school, what matters is what you do with that opportunity and it truly is a gift.

By: Ole Miss Dad

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.