facebook

Do athletes join sororities at Ole Miss?

by: GreekAlum

My granddaughter is being recruited by Ole Miss as an athlete. Do athletes join sororities at Ole Miss? If so, is there a concentration in one house or are the athletes spread among multiple houses? Thanks - and go Greek!

Posted By: GreekAlum
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: ohey   

Overall the school is about 50-55% Greek.

Frat wise I'd say 5-10%, Sorority wise I'd say 30-35%. So, yes they join, not at the levels at the regular student body, but compared to other athletes at other schools, 30-35% is really high.

Keep in mind Greek is mostly to meet people and find friends and not be bored. Athletes have teammates and keep busy, so that 30-35% is really high.

Most women athlete's are not recruited and rather just go to open tryouts (think cheerleader and dance team, etc.). The ones that do rush, rush with their sport as a afterthought i.e. they are rushing to go where they want to go, not because a specific house has a bunch of their team mates. It's kind of like picking majors, it's based on what they want, not what most people on their team is doing.

To answer your question they are pretty well spread out throughout each house. Only exception is DG does have a lot of cheerleaders

By: ohey
#2  by: DG    

DG has many types of girls in different Athletic programs. Not only cheerleaders

By: DG
#3  by: eh   

I know three girls who got athletic scholarships here. None of them rushed, even though they are all the 'type'. For anyone being recruited, they are expected to put the sport before anything else, because that's the reason they are coming here, so this is a question for the coach/athletic staff to answer as well as other girls on the team.

By: eh
#4  by: It all works ou   

All Stat houses will work with you knowing your athletic schedule and school will come first. I was on women's golf team and in a sorority

By: It all works ou

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.