facebook

transfer seeking info

by: jett

hey y'all, I don't currently go to ole miss but am curious - what is the greek culture really like? obviously ratings are not to be taken seriously, but is there any merit to the posts on the discussion board?
please be kind with the responses! I am only posting this to help myself make an informed decision. I'm currently in a sorority, love being a part of greek life and just want to make sure I'll still love it if I transfer to ole miss! thank you!

Posted By: jett
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: depends   

Depends on the chapter. Some of them are heavily in-state/in-region/legacy-based and you might not find a friend group because you aren't from the same high school or hometown etc. Also your reaffiliation is not automatic with a lot of sororities and you would have to be voted in by the chapter. Check your national's policy on this.

By: depends
by: OkJun 16, 2023 11:03:56 PM

This was partly helpful. Every house but KD and DDD will treat you the same as every other member. Those two are full of cliques.

By: Ok
#2  by: curious   

Many years ago, I had to transfer to Ole Miss to take care of a sick grandparent. I did affiliate with a top chapter(not Tri Delt or KD) at Ole Miss. I was coming from a much larger and better ranked SEC School. Loved Ole Miss it has great people but beyond the great food at the sorority house and the other girls that had transferred-- I felt my sorority at Ole Miss was not a great fit. I was friends with many other girls in other top houses but would have never pledged the Ole Miss sorority where I was a member. I am a military brat and can fit in anywhere. Every sorority has clicks etc. Some items the girls in the house did were cruel to transfers. I had cousins in other top houses(tri delta and KD) and they said their house would never have treated transfers the same. Still invited on beach vacations by my sorority at my first school and have a few friends from my Ole Miss chapter but never invited to their beach trips. Again my experience was not unique. Other affiliated members in fraternities and sororities know it can be a challenge and we were friends with each other. Do not regret my time at Ole Miss as I had a great time. Even lived in the sorority house but never had the same bonds. Each chapter has a personality. I went on to graduate school out of state with great friends and traveled so I just was not a fit for local in state girls that were in top house. Despite the fact I come from generations of great Memphis and Jackson Families. No big deal again great campus a lot of fun at Ole Miss. No regrets. Live in a big city today in a larger state. I would just anticipate you need to get involved in items outside of sorority. My Chapter was forced to take me due to National rules but I know sororities like Kappa require a chapter vote and others. Many people transfer for all types of reasons (including guys in Sigma Chi and SAE). The greek system could do a better job on these transitions.

By: curious
#3  by: Hey   

People transfer all the time but you are from MS you only went to your current school to get a bid into a house that you couldn’t get during recruitment here they will talk behind your back about it just like if you’re from AL and come here to get an easy phi mu bid they know

By: Hey

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.