facebook

Genuine question from a freshman

by:    

Im from California and a lot of ppl have mentioned that it may be hard to get a bid with certain houses because of this? Why do sororities care about where you are from? Is there benefits to having all southern/Mississippi girls? Or is it just straight up a shallowness thing?

Posted By: CA
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

The houses that are Mississippi/Southern focused already know A LOT of girls coming to Ole Miss from back home that they want in their sorority. That's not shallow, they just prefer their friends over total strangers. Their friends feel the same way, which makes them highly desired houses, and therefore they are required to make the largest RFM cuts. Don't read more into it than that.

By: Nope
#2by:    

well most know each other.
they live near by.
most don't leave the south and will be there after graduation.

if you made your own sorority and had the option of picking your friends from high school over some random from far away that you'll probably never see/talk to after school ends, what would you do?

By: herp derp
by: sad   

the legacy houses exclude others and are close minded to newbies. No worries though because they take only legacies and they are not the best pnms . Some of their moms might have a lot going for them, but some of the girls are awkward and not nice. Only their for legacy. They can’t thrive around others from better places that have more going for them just around all the same.

By: sad
#3by:    

OMG.

The posters above are giving only a part of the picture.

Here's the other part. Odds are you don't want to be there either. You are coming to Ole Miss from CA probably because you want a new and different experience. You will probably prefer houses that have more girls with that mindset, coming from all over, looking to meet new people, and make new friends, etc.

One is not better than the other. Go where you feel right.

By: Truth
#4by:    

Sororities are social organizations. Friends and acquaintances get first priority in membership selection. It's not an academic competition, an honors club, a job interview, a skills assessment, or a blind process. It's also not about what's best for you, a pnm, it's about what the sororities feel is best for them. The sororities are doing the choosing. If you feel like that's not fair or that it should be all about you and what you want, then you're using your high school mentality, which is to be expected. But this is the way it is.

By: Social
by: lol   

See I hear you, but I don't really think its a matter of "high school mentality" but more so an issue of social hierarchy and privilege. Call me a radical, but I think people from all states should have equal opportunity to be in any sorority LOL

By: lol
by: ^   

You absolutely have an equal opportunity to be in A SORORITY, along with every other PNM; A SORORITY, not ANY SORORITY YOU CHOOSE. Equal opportunity in anything is never a guarantee that you are owed exactly what you decide you want. Sorority members vote on their own chapter membership selections. Yes, this is their 'privilege' as members. Every single chapter exercises this 'privilege,' not just the ones you have decided to post about. You are focusing on one aspect of how chapters make decisions when there are so many. Members in all chapters will like you or not based on all kinds of 'social hierarchy' queues - how you are dressed and styled and put together, your poise and confidence, your perceived attitude and interest level, how you relate and converse with the actives you are paired with, if you seem fun and have the right sense of humor, do the actives you meet feel a connection with you, what's on your resume and recs and GPA, and yes, do you have any personal connections within the chapter. This is what you are getting yourself into when you decide to go through sorority recruitment, to be evaluated by every individual you meet and by every chapter membership as a whole. Are you sure you are up for this? Or perhaps you thought that sororities just put out a sign up sheet and are grateful for whomever they get.

By: ^
#5by:    

Omg Who TF is posting all these paragraphs? It seems like it’s the same person being the OP and then pretending to be others answering just like on the “dear actives” post. Is this that blogger that can’t get anyone on campus to talk to her so she makes stuff up? You look crazy honey.

By: Hah
by: oh my   

Yeah, paragraphs are soooo hard for some people. Keep at it and you will eventually be able to read one without freaking out, and then maybe even work toward reading a whole chapter in a book some day. We believe in you!

By: oh my
#6by:    

@oh my you seem really bitter and weird so like adpi right?

By: Wow

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: ^   

Hey @Wow! Your adpi shade isn't going to work any better than your fake aopi housing post. What do you do the rest of the year to vent your anti-sorority road rage when there's not an upcoming rush?

By: ^
#7by:    

I didn’t write the aopi housing post. So these weird ass paragraphs are coming from some bitter angry bottom house aopi? Good to know.

By: Wow

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.