facebook

rush question??

by:    

Why does being from Mississippi make a difference when rushing? Im from the west coast and schools out there don't really care what state you're from when it comes to recruitment (I know we're in the south and Greek life is so different out here.)

Posted By: OOS
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Mississippi girls and others from certain places in the South have strong connections to each other and know each other, or about each other, before they come to Ole Miss. It helps pnm's when actives in a house know them personally from high school or home town or summer camp or church or wherever, or they are related to people they know, or their parents know each other, or have a strong legacy connection to a chapter. It's all about connections sometimes. But this can work in reverse also if a pnm is known about in a bad way.

By: MS
#2by:    

Not from the south, but love the south. I thought hospitality was special here not just towards legacy high school 2.0 girls….so most of u that think ur top are not nice or pretty. Interesting…

By: ???
#3by:    

They are more likely to have siblings or get married and stay in the state and family will more likely go to Ole Miss. People from far away will move on and in most cases never come back or send kids to university.

By: Hi
#4by:    

But a girl from California at UCLA or Stanford who knows people in a specific house will have a much better chance of getting a bid than a girl from Mississippi who doesn’t know anyone.

By: Truth

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#5by:    

These are the answers I can tell:

1) tradition
2) more likely to know if the girl comes from a "good family" - reputation
3) less likely to drop because of family ties or peer pressure
4) the alumni choose the classes and because so many come to ole miss, they know them and choose them first

Don't try and make sense of it, it makes perfect sense to them, doesn't make sense to those who are out of state (not talking tennessee or alabama). The logical counter arguments would be:

1) tradtion is wonderful but as ole miss pulls more and more from around the country you are dismissing great women who choose ole miss for many of those traditions you also lovd simply because of geography.
2) Why assume that not knowing the reputation means there is something wrong? Be positive!
3) okay fair. At the end of the day a sorority has a business side - 4 years of dues matter. But let's not base a recruitment strategy on that.
4) i don't get this. These college students wear your letters, share your values, let them FULLY select their sisterhood. Why not trust about them entirely? Yes, sure, everybody will say that girls vote, etc but we all know that behind the rush team is a very busy group of moms and alums.

So, I don't get it. Somebody pointed out about friends at UCLA or Stanford pulling their frienss, but at Ole Miss it is much more entrenched. Not the same comparison.

By: Me
by: friends   

You're missing one important point: actives want pnm's they already know and like. Every house at every campus does this. And why not? Why not pull for your friends or your friends' friends over complete strangers. It's not that hard to figure out.

By: friends
by: Ohh   

Keep on with your legacies. That’s why you fall lower each year and others continue to be wanted more. Mommies that were cool in 1980 now have awkward non social daughters going to OM. Top sorority means top girls which is not defined anymore by being a legacy.

By: Ohh
#6by:    

I agree with your question because I too was just as curious as u were.

I think everyone’s points are all true. A big part of it is that a lot of the in state houses have their alumni pick for them. So they have their bid lists before recruitment even starts.

All the other stuff I’m sure is true to some extent and probably how it started out.

But not it really just comes down to sheer numbers and financials. I feel like once they started realizing they were making more money off there members off spring it became a great marketing ploy. And not only for chapters but also for ole miss. So in short they choose the in state people because they know they will keep paying there dues and one day there kids will too.

I will say it’s a faulty system because while yes. Southern in state girls seem to know more and be more familiar with rush. And no matter how nice their families are. The out of state girls are probably the ones with more money. Seeing as they pay out of stay, and don’t have parents employed and living in Mississippi. Girls from New York or California probably live 4.5 million dollar condos that are worth more than mississippi mansions.

By: Yuhh
by: Ok   

So you just described what legacy means and also a lack of understanding things like cost of living. I’m guessing you are an out of region mom that didn’t go to college or wasn’t greek.

By: Ok
by: sure   

@Yuhh has no understanding of rush and obviously has no connection whatsoever to Greek life. Neither do all the trolls on here thinking they are actually giving advice to sororities that have existed for generations and are only getting larger and larger. We have got this, thanks very much, we are doing just fine, try to not be so envious and go help someone who actually needs it.

By: sure
by: its showing    

Okay clearly you guys don't know anything about money or business. Clearly the point is so called top houses choose southern girls for the money. And also have certain advantages over other houses with Panhellenic and the university because they bring in money based on "tradition". My other point was arguing that money coming from the south is a funny strategy because their 300k mansions seem reallyyyy cheap on the spectrum of girls coming from bigger cities and higher expenses.

And with reference to the post, thus is why they are favored or have a better chance. Its not because being from Mississippi is actually cool or matters. Its just because they want their money.

I will also say they have a point that its just a stage for out of staters but I also think if these out of state girls had more opportunities that the in state girls get, they may stick around and have better things to say.

xoxo the new york yankee making more money on wall street at 22 then your 55 year old husband making 100k in mississippi you married because you thought he had "old money".

By: its showing
by: But   

You’re forgetting that the Miss kids who stay in-state or nearby are the ones getting involved with the school later. They consistently give money, many alums not from here never return or get involved on other levels. Every university needs alums who are deeply involved.

By: But

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.