facebook

Legacy Policies

by:    

Several groups have recently eliminated preferential treatment for legacies and in order to enhance diversity and inclusion (off the top of my head: DG, Theta, Alpha Phi, Tri Sig, and maybe others). Do you think all NPC orgs will follow suit? I’m sure there are mixed feelings on the topic, and I can see both sides. On the one hand, legacies grow up more committed to a group. On the other hand, it levels the playing field.

Posted By: Question
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

It was not to enhance diversity and inclusion, it's because there are so many legacies coming through now that it just doesn't work any more, especially with RFM. Used to be that houses could ask back anybody they wanted before pref round, even if they really weren't going to bid them, and the pnm's (or rushees as they were called) did the cutting. So houses would look better having as many girls back as possible to parties and could include legacies in those early rounds without having to cut anyone else. A lot of girls were carried along from round to round only to be dumped right before pref just for the numbers, while all along those girls had been cutting other houses and were often left with nothing at all. Then RFM happened, with houses being given a number to invite back that they absolutely can't exceed, and with the legacy policy still in place they had to cut so many amazing girls first round to just to adhere to their limit and keep the damn legacies that they may or may not want. With legacy girls multiplying in numbers over generations, it has got to the state that having to keep them all first round is a detriment to any chapter and prohibits true self-selected membership. Inclusion and diversity may be a side effect, but it's not the real true reason.

By: Nah
by: wow   

thank you for the most informative take on this i’ve seen yet!

By: wow
#2by:    

Legacy cuts should be made first round. Anything else is cruel. You know if you don’t want one before recruitment even starts.

By: Well
by: nope   

No, legacies should be cut like everyone else, and sometimes it's not apparent until 3rd round.

By: nope
#3by:    

Ole Miss has given top houses return rates for decades, restricting how many they could invite to each recruitment event. The change by some sororities in their legacy policy was to eliminate what some say is “privilege” to level the playing field. Ole Miss top houses have tons of legacies. They USUALLY (not always) cut the ones they don’t want early enough for them to find another house and not mislead them. Usually the OOS girls or legs from non-Ole Miss chapters. I don’t see anything wrong with a mandatory invite back to second round. I think it was stupid to change the policies.

By: Pan love
by: Nah   

@Pan love, these are NATIONAL policies for the benefit of all chapters. You are looking at it through an Ole Miss lens only. I guess a chapter can decide to have their own legacy policy, but at least they are free to make their own membership selections without a national policy they must adhere to.

By: Nah
#4by:    

Recs are meaningless at Ole Miss. Girls get them on Facebook.

By: Recs

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#5by:    

I think the removal of the Legacy Policy sucks for alums who’ve dedicated a lot of time and money to their chapter while in college. I understand and appreciate their reasoning, however whenever a house really wants a girl, legacy policies haven’t ever stopped them. At competitive schools like Ole Miss, Alabama, UGA, etc. legacy policies don’t mean as much for chapters anyway. If they don’t like her they’ll cut her after Philanthropy anyway.

What I have seen happen with legacy policies is the house keeping a girl who REALLY loves her legacy house and giving her top treatment for the first two rounds, getting her hopes up and then dropping her after philanthropy and leaving her heartbroken. So that’s one of the Pro’s to this i guess

By: .

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.