facebook

fall rush

by: newseeking

I just wanted to hear your experience, some advice, and anything else you'd like to add! I'm from up north and I heard during August Florida has really bad rain showers, so would that mean they would cancel or move the process inside? (Sorry if this is a stupid question).

Posted By: newseeking
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: hi!    

My experience during fall rush was super super sunny and hot, that's what you REALLY need to worry about. Bring anything you can in a purse that will keep you from looking like you're melting, such as oil blotting sheets, a small perfume, etc. In the event of rain you will either stay under the tents or, if it's bad enough, stay inside of a sorority house (away from the girls in the sorority so you don't get more time with them, which would be unfair). They would not cancel it, don't worry about that. My general advice is to go in with an open mind. Ignore tent talk and heresay, you'll feel more comfortable in some houses than in others. Aim for the houses that feel like "home" to you. Dress your absolute best! Remember that you are dressing for girls, not guys, so avoid looking "clubby" and instead dress in the latest trends and accessorize well. Do everything you can before rush to look your best, and by that I mean make sure that if you dye your hair, your roots are good, do your eyebrows, tan if you look better that way, etc. You probably know what makes you look and feel good, so whatever it is, do it before rush. Conversation-wise, be upbeat, positive, and try to talk about things aside from the usual bland "what's your major where do you live how are your classes" questions. The more you stand out, the more you will be remembered. Avoid talking about things that may be controversial, such as politics, religion, money, etc. Good luck!

By: hi!
by: hi! May 18, 2014 12:26:36 PM

Also! If you happen to know BOYS on campus, don't name-drop. It doesn't matter if you are "like totally bffs" with so-and-so fraternity president. The girl you're talking to could have a history with that guy, or have a sister who has a history with that guy. The exception is celebrity boys, because we all love Zac Efron and no one would really get mad at you for talking about him lol.

#2  by: ^^^ covered it   

And SMILE and make it seem like you actually want to be in each individual hous. A smile will get you a long way and the sisters youre talking too will be more likely to remember you if youre outgoing and positive

By: ^^^ covered it
by: hi! May 18, 2014 9:21:26 PM

I just want to add to your totally correct statement, that going through rush you should smile and be polite, even at houses you don't want to be in! I'm in a "top" house but one of my really good friends is in a "bottom" house (I put quotes because I think tiers aren't a big deal, all the sororities are pretty good). Sororities talk to each other. Some girls will be rude in a house they don't want and then do a complete 180 for a house they do love, but word travels and we hear about bad behavior even in other houses. No one wants a girl who has no problem being mean to other Greeks, especially since those girls aren't even in a sorority yet and aren't above anyone. Basically, be nice no matter the situation!

#3  by: newseeking   

thank you! i def have an open mind and im pretty excited. im actually going to get my outfits for rush this week. thank you for taking your time to write this out to me!

another question, when do you really get to sit down and talk to the sisters or have conversations with them? aren't the first few days more like speeches, and information about each sorority?

By: newseeking
by: hi! May 18, 2014 2:57:07 PM

The days in the beginning will be short at first, bit you'll be talking to sisters every single day! The first day will be like 10 minutes and by pref night you'll be talking to them for like an hour. The only time you don't talk to any sisters is during the pre-rush seminar in the student union the night before rush actually begins.

by: .May 20, 2014 10:19:32 PM

Just like what she said! Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have within the first couple days (like UCF day). It'll give you time to get all the information you need to make a decision and that'll only continue as the process continues. It's not necessarily a "speech" and if the girl you're talking to is making it seem like one, she definitely isn't doing a good job haha. It should just be like a normal conversation, so don't feel pressured!

By: .

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.