facebook

gpa

by:    

How big of a deal is gpa for sororties? I have the min required to participate in rush (2.5)

Posted By: me
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

It's actually a huge deal. If you aren't at least 3.0 you'll get cut by most of the sororities. You might not even get a bid at all. Hit the books.

By: Uhh
#2by:    

We couldn't accept a GPA that low even if we wanted to.
It's extremely important.

By: GPA

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: me   

The VP of Recruitment told me that the minimum GPA requirement was a 2.5 so why couldn't you accept it?

By: me
#3by:    

That's the minimum set by the university. Each sorority has a minimum that they set as well. 2.5 is too low for my sorority. We don't even look at girls with lower than a 3.0. Why risk a girl that may to be able to participate because of grades. It's not worth it. Sorry.

By: Esg
by: Me   

Just what are you "risking"? I'm not being rude I just want a better understand. I have always had a 3.0+ this semester was my first and not my best but I already know that after this semester it will go back up. I guess I can wait until I'm a sophomore in fall. I just want to know what is the risk

By: Me
by: GPA2   

The risk is that if you can't get the sorority's required GPA without a sorority, what will it be like once you add the huge time commitment of a sorority? We can only accept so many members each year (Pan requirement), so you can't risk a spot to someone who perhaps can't cut the grades requirement.
Also our nationals require we maintain a certain GPA as a chapter, so a low GPA affects the rest of the chapter.

I'm the person who posted comment #2, not #3.

By: GPA2
#4by:    

it honestly depends on which sororities you're looking at. Typically it's a case by case basis if you're under a certain minimum. If the chapter is as petty as the girls posting above me, you probably won't get asked back after day one (the biggest cut). However, I went through formal with a 2.7? ish? and I preffed three chapters I loved and ran home to a mid tier I could't be happier in! I found out later that my chapter doesn't cut based on gpa and they were first in grades sooooo. Also, it wouldn't be bad to mention during recruitment to the girls that you went through a rough patch academically and you really are look for academic support in whatever chapter you choose! Anyway, Good luck! If you are meant to be there, you will be. Don't worry too much, but still get that gpa up before fall!

By: it depends
by: Grades   

1. DZ was first in grades from Pan last semester and they're not middle tier so there's clearly some alternative truths in your comment...
This couldn't have even been true recently bc it was KKG the semester before that and they definitely recruit for grades and then KD before them, which is top tier...
2. It is not petty to recruit based on grades. Academic achievement is paramount in college. Many sororities nationals require a minimum GPA from them which means members have no control over that anyway, and even if they did, you should want the best academically for your sisters since that why we're in college together.

By: Grades
#5by:    

Sororities are strict with GPA but you never know. It's worth the risk just try recruitment and see how it goes and if you don't get a bid try spring or again the next fall

By: Anonn
#6by:    

go for it! some sororitys turn away based on grades but if you dedicate yourself and bring it up by fall (you can use summer to boost your gpa too!), you should be good. despite common misconception, grades are actually very important in a sorority and keeping them up while being a new member (especially in fall when tailgates, socials, etc are overwhelming) can be difficult so they try to stick to girls that they already see striving for academic performance. good luck girl, i hope your GPA improves and you find the sorority you're looking for!

By: anon

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.