facebook

phi psi or phi delt?

by:    

Should I go phi psi or phi delt? What are the pros and cons of the two?

Posted By: HG
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Phi Delt has an amazing history at the University and while they are in the rebuilding mode, they have a very promising future and existing tradition and history that you can be proud of.

By: My opinion

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: It's   

like you want to ignore the present and base it completely on the past when they aren't even really related to the old Phi Delt.

If you want to compare futures, Phi Psi easily has a much more promising future. That isn't a competition. They're getting bigger PCs, renovations on a house they can drink in, and starting to get some Cowboy/Spurs recognition.

By: It's
#2by:    

is certainly the stronger of the two as it stands, and Phi Delt has been back on campus for something like 8 years and is only now starting to get traction.

By: Phi Psi
#3by:    

Thanks! If phi psi cost more than phi delt, would that be something to
Consider too? I worry about alumni engagemet with phi delt more than phi psi. What good is past history and tradition if the alumni network has been severed? Phi delt has a nice little chapter house, and an off site "party house" but I don't see them making any big moves to build something more permanent in the future. It looks like they spent the last several years roaming the wilderness so to speak.

By: HG
by: Yeah   

While Phi Delt has a bigger UT network and is huge in Texas in general, it's pretty doubtful the alumni are very dedicated to their chapter anymore or else they should have rocketed up like like Kappa Sig and Sigma Chi who both came back around the same time or more recently.

By: Yeah
#4by:    

easily. I wouldn't even put Phi Delt over Pi Kapp yet. Phi Delt doesn't have the same alum from its good days at UT, I don't think very many of those guys are involved in the current Phi Delt considering its roots. Don't know why people think they have this great advantage. If they did, they'd have a much nicer house by now. Not to mention, their national laws make it harder for them.

Phi Psi has a better house, better guys (subjective), and a lot more potential than Phi Delt, hence why Phi Delt's been piggying off Phi Psi for Round-Up the last two years.

By: Phi Psi
by: ^   

Phi Delt's dry housing policy really seems to make it really, really hard for new or returning chapters, and probably has something to do with the lack of alumni commitment.

By: ^
by: I agree   

The dry housing policy from their nationals is a real hindrance to growth. They should have a graduated or scaled system as long as you have good enviro or risk mgmt then get a waiver.cif you mess up then you get punished for it by dry housing fora period.

By: I agree
by: what roots do    

You mean? Why does phi psi even partner with phi delt?

By: what roots do
by: ^   

There was something weird like they took their first members from a business fraternity called Delta Sigma Pi (not to be confused with the IFC house Delta Sigma Phi) if I heard correctly. That plus some weird stuff with their nationals.

By: ^
by: Yea    

The current line of actives come from the beta kappa chapter of delta sigma pi business fraternity.

By: Yea
#5by:    

You need to check out both to see which one is the best fit for you. This is going to be one of the most important decisions of your life. This is like asking a Ford guy if Chevy is a good choice. You need to see who you actually relate to, if you can't relate to them or share some interests, why join.

Now on a Phi Delt level. We probably have the largest alumni network in Texas. So, you probably will not be working in Austin. A job is a big key. There are numerous alumni in the Austin area that are active on and off campus. On a National level...our recruitment numbers have been going up every year for the last decade. I can get you some hard data if you need some, instead of just some info on a nameless blog. You can say anything on the internet.

By: real advice
by: Dunno   

Fiji and maybe SAE probably have bigger networks in Texas. Obviously you shouldn't base the house you choose purely on rank (which Phi Psi is only slightly higher in anyway), you should base it on where you fit.

By: Dunno
by: There's   

a huge gap between Phi Psi and Phi Delt. Maybe like two years ago, the gap wasn't too big, but it's pretty easy to see the differences. Phi Psi is legitimately moving up, while it's still to be seen with Phi Delt whether they'll take the next step. Not being able to throw parties at your chapter house is a huge bummer. Pretty sure, their party house is illegal enough in their national's book that it would get them in huge trouble if they found out the events there were mainly Phi Delt-supported.

By: There's

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.