facebook

what house is best for me?

by: Julie

I am from a small town in Mississippi. I was #2 in my class and I am in the Business Honors Program and Dean Scholars. I want to join a sorority but I really need my grades to stay high because I want to go to Medical School. I know what houses have high GPAs but what is that really about? Do those houses have mainly education majors so it is easier for them to obtain those high numbers? Or do they really insist on study hours or grade checks? Do they just not socialize? I only know a handful of girls that go to UT so I apologize if this should be an easy question but I don't know who to ask.

Posted By: Julie
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: opinion   

There are girls of every major in every sorority. That being said, there are also girls with 4.0s in each one and 2.5s in each one. It is really up to you to take the initiative to pick and choose which events to go to based on your workload. All houses have mixers during the week and go to parties on the weekends, but there are plenty of girls who choose not to go. As for your question about study hours, I'm not sure if other houses require them. My house doesn't, mostly because it would turn into a social hour.

By: opinion
#2  by: Echo   

You won't get into medical school with a business degree.

This makes no sense. It sounds like some dumb DG trying to start another new topic about HOW HIGH THEIR GPA IS IN SPITE OF THE FACT THAT IT'S .002 HIGHER THAN OTHER HOUSES AND AEPHI BEATS THEM ANYWAY

By: Echo
by: ^Aug 15, 2013 1:22:06 AM

You're so fuc.king stupid it baffles me. "Won't get into medical school with a business degree" LMFAO. Um yes a business honors degree from mccombs can get you into a top tier medical school.

By: ^
by: Be SmartAug 15, 2013 9:28:59 AM

The smartest thing you can major in is business if you are going to medical school. The only dumb person on this thread is you "echo". If you knew anything about going to Med school, you would know you can major in anything as long as you meet certain requirements. Frankly most mediocre students going to Med School major in biology. I call that Med School Lite. And how in the world you twisted in your poor little head that a DG started that thread, when this PNM obviously has a valid question is beyond me.

To answer the PNMs question. ALL houses want their girls to make good grades. All have test banks, etc. I think some houses attract honors type girls,and some "future teachers" but that will be clear when you rush.

By: Be Smart
by: HmmmAug 15, 2013 10:54:43 AM

How will that accounting degree help you with biochemistry and physiology when everyone else in your first year class has already had a lot of classes in it because they have science majors???? Not being sarcastic y'all. It doesn't make much sense to me either. Medical school sounds hard enough I think without being already behind because of a major.

PNM you have given out way too much identifying information here already. You should probably stop now

By: Hmmm
#3  by: Educate   

Y'all need to get in your own lane. They don't let you link to websites here, but her is an excerpt of what the trend in Med School Admissions are.....

Even as breakthroughs in science and advances in technology make the practice of medicine increasingly complex, medical educators are looking beyond biology and chemistry majors in the search for more well-rounded students who can be molded into caring and analytic doctors.
This is great news, particularly for students who don’t exactly enjoy the sciences to the degree that they do other fields of study. It reinforces the fact that you can major in anything and still get into medical school. The odds are actually in your favor now.

The number of science majors applying to medical school has been steady for the past 10 years, about 65 percent of applicants major in biology or another physical science. What’s changing is who gets in.

By: Educate
by: MD2BeAug 15, 2013 6:10:36 PM

You will have to study a lot harder to keep up with those who already have science degrees though. Getting in and keeping up are two different things.

By: MD2Be
by: Or Aug 15, 2013 7:16:20 PM

she may want business as a back-up.

By: Or
by: TAug 15, 2013 9:46:04 PM

Yeah with the obama care disgrace there's no sense in working so hard to make no money

By: T
#4  by: just saying   

No one has answered her question yet.

By: just saying
by: AnswerAug 15, 2013 8:31:12 PM

No one knows which house is best for you. Go through rush and find out for yourself.

By: Answer
#5  by: answer   

I'm in one of the top three sororities for grades.. I can tell you that we do have study hours based on your GPA. So if you have a higher GPA you will have less study hours. I can also tell you that we have a wide variety of majors. Some girls are education majors, but I wouldn't say by any means that they are the majority. We also have a lot of girls in honors programs and in science and business. We place girls on academic probation if their grades are not high enough. However, we do still socialize and have date events!
GPA is just one of the main things we look at when rushing girls.. and we make it a priority.
I wouldn't say that you should rush a sorority mainly off of grades though. If you want to make your GPA a priority you will find sisters that have the same interest in any of the sororities.

By: answer
#6  by: Oh Puhleeze!   

I am an education major and have a 4.0. I get so irritated with the subtle put downs. Yes, I get that it isn't as difficult a major as Engineering, but I had the same history, math, English, Spanish, science, psychology, and communication classes as everyone else. I even took extra upper level history and English courses for my electives because I LIKE those subjects. I major in education because I want to teach, not because I am the village idiot. So quit being snotty about it.

By: Oh Puhleeze!
by: JDAug 18, 2013 2:50:12 AM

You might as well flush your tuition dollars down the toilet

By: JD
by: Haha!Aug 18, 2013 10:19:11 AM

Good one JD! I have never heard that one! Seriously, it is all good. I love the idea of my future career, even if I agree that some of my education courses are extremely lame. Maybe I will teach for 40 years. Or maybe, like my mom, I will teach for 10 years and then go back to law school at UT and be a successful attorney. You never can tell! ;)

By: Haha!
#7  by: I am   

Wondering if JD wants college graduates to teach his future children...

By: I am

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.