facebook

university of texas frats

by: Noticed

Why is there such a dramatic drop in fraternities from the Big 4 to the middle tier at Texas? But in Texas sororities, you don't really see this dramatic drop and have quality girls and houses from all of the way from Pi Phi to KD.

Do less guys rush?

Posted By: Noticed
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: True   

I know what you mean. The so called middle upper tier houses compared to the Big 4 are absolute dumps.

The difference is sorority rush is much more fair. You have to have big time connections to get bids with the top fraternities at Texas. Also legacies aren't as heavily weighted.

By: True
#2  by: PKT   

Weights legacies more heavily than any of the fraternities. There are something like twice as many fraternities as sororities, so they are in general smaller. While the sorority rush is more fair in a sense, the sororities rankings just about never change and they can't move themselves up through hard work or anything, their reputation is just sealed. No matter how much they improve they're considered the same and a lot of the top sororities are awful to the lower ones.

By: PKT
#3  by: It's not    

a dramatic drop in the quality of the guys, it's just that a very large portion of the wealthiest guys end up in the top four. If you think that the quality of the guys is based solely on how nice their chapter house is or how big their trust fund is, then I guess there's a dramatic decline in "quality."

By: It's not
#4  by: Classy   

along with saying the guys in almost every fraternity on campus suck, you also covertly said a couple of the sororities have no quality girls. I wish we could all be as quality as you.

By: Classy
#5  by: Truth   

Sorority rush is just simply more fair. You can't just sign up to rush fraternities at Texas. Unless you were from the right high school, the top fraternities want even know you existed.

By: Truth
by: TrueFeb 25, 2013 10:49:50 PM

There actually is an IFC rush list though and honestly I think the fraternities prefer it to work this way (including the ones that aren't top) because it allows you to pull yourself up rather than your rank being dictated purely by tradition.

By: True
#6  by: DragRat   

The guys can take as many or as few pledges as they want. They are self selecting and there are no rules. Rush is freeform and they do what they want. There are so many more fraternities than sororities and one that will fit just about any kind of guy.

The sororities have to live by about a bajillion rules during a very structured recruitment process. Quotas and release figures limit the number you can take and you HAVE to cut quality girls you like every round. Only the best survive to make it into any sorority. I mean even the supposedly bottom houses have members who would be in top tiers at most other schools.

By: DragRat
by: ExactlyFeb 28, 2013 1:19:14 PM

if the fraternities started doing formal rush like sororities it would probably level the playing field some, but most guys wouldn't like it, even the ones that would be growing because of it. Free form rush allows the fraternities that like being small and laid back to do that, and allows them to gain prominence and prestige through hard work and creative rushing. Different philosophies, and they each basically work for who they need to work for.

By: Exactly

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.