facebook

texas omicron

by:    

What's going on with Omicron lately? Are they ever going to reconcile with nationals? I know they were top tier when they were in good standing I wonder if that's still the case

Posted By: Hookem
Page 2 of 2
#11by:    

Truth is pretty accurate. For what its worth I think Phi Psi and Beta were about equal exactly mid tier. On the women's side I think Alpha Phi is rated a lot more highly now on this site than I would have placed them a while back.

By: 1980's Observer
by: @truth   

What about the lambda chi's? Didn't they used to have a house right on 24th that later was purchased by a tutoring company?

Why/how did the phi delts get kicked from campus? I had heard that by the 90s the chapter was pretty much dead and the final straw was their nationals pushing dry housing across the nation. Why would the chapter have fallen on hard times by the 90s?

By: @truth
#12by:    

Lambda Chi house was right across from Towers (which was abandoned/closed in the late 80's...reopening in 1990) until the end of the 80's. It became a sorority house (AGD if my memory serves me) and then became House of Tutors. Not sure if structure is still there.

Things went south for the Phi Delts in the mid-late 90's. Phi Delt's pitch was quality over quantity and intentionally operated with smaller pledge classes that were from all across the state/out of state. They operated with about 100+ members where as the other top houses were 150+. When the dry housing initiative was started by their nationals it became really difficult to rush at the same level of the other top houses and fell into financial problems.

By: Truth
#13by:    

ATOs were nobodies in the 90s didn't even know who they were. They were often confused for apo the service first that ran the tx flag during ball games. Im surprised to hear they were purported to be #1 or #2 back in the day.

By: Howtimeschange
by: @howtimeschang   

that's cause they lost their charter around 86 and then recolnized in the ninties

By: @howtimeschang
#14by:    

They are still better than sigma chi, delt, pike, and ato due to having members that are still from very good families. They really haven't been hurt that much to be honest.

By: Omicron

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: that's   

extremely arguable, they've declined a lot, and Delt and Sigma Chi may well have passed them already, and Pike and ATO will probably pass them on their way down too.

By: that's
#15by:    

If the court rules that Omicron doues not keep the house at 2515 Leon, then its all over. If they do keep the house they wil eventually affiliate with another national. I could see DKE as the top choice.

By: It's over
by: DKE   

along with Alpha Delta Phi, and Psi U should get serious consideration. DKE the better choice because of strong Southern tradition. For the gold standard on Southern Greekdom look no further than U Alabama. DKE and SAE have reigned there since anyone living can remember. U Virginia, UNC DKE is the pinnacle. Ole Miss DKE and LSU DKE are legendary. Tulane DKE were crazy ragers before the school banned them.

By: DKE
by: Hmm   

DKE's good but LSU DKE gets kicked off every couple years and are mostly notorious for being crazy, I'm pretty sure Ole Miss doesn't have DKE on campus currently, but the rest are pretty true, Alabama DKE is probably on of the very best Greek chapters in the country (along with like half the chapter on their campus TBH) but they're top, and their Ivy League Chapters like Yale produced 5 US Presidents. DKE is easily one of the most powerful national fraternities despite its relatively small size.

By: Hmm
by: Ole Boy   

If you haven't seen the documentary clip on LSU's DKE chapter (youtube it)from the 1980s its a real classic. Young pups these days can't rage like that anymore.Those were the days!

By: Ole Boy
by: Wow   

No joke that video is crazy. I knew they were kind of legendary for being wild, but damn. Mostly meant that they are currently pretty small and behind quite a few chapters (although still respected) because their antics get them thrown off campus frequently.

By: Wow
by: Why DKE?   

They had a chapter at UT as late as 2007 and it was small and based in the criteria eveyone here uses, completely inconsequential. Ok Maybe they are big wheels at 'Bama but how does that help them here? If they haven't been able to keep a house open up til now, I doubt The Omicrons would want to tyr that. If its all about doing whatver they please without interfererence from a National staying local makes more sense. as far as anyone here seems to think, a National affiliation is more of a hindrance then a help.

By: Why DKE?
by: It's   

A tough choice that omicron faces. Either bend over and go back to KA Nationals--not likely seeing how acrimonious the 2sides have become--or remain independent or affiliate with another national. Going independent is never good at a large greek school like UT. You pretty much have to affiliate (see former top tier sigma nu at Vanderbilt converted to Nu Society, now Vandy's kappa sigs, or former top tier Duke SAE going independent then affiliating with alpha delta phi. they both are doing fine).

The UT DKEs have been stumbling and irrelevant in the late 90s and 2000s, but they were pretty reputable before that time as a few other posters have mentioned and DKE is certainly well known in the South. Besides with time things can change. Texas sigep were irrelevant and started in 1930, its only beginning in the late 90s they've finally clawed themselves into big 4 with the misfortunes that befell other chapters like Ato, phi Delt, sigma nu, and KA. If KA were to reaffiliate with a hands off national they'll be back up there were they should be.

By: It's
by: DKE   

Is hardcore and definitely had Southern credentials. Bama DKE was the first chapter of a national fraternity in the deep South. Their LSU chapter (then Cenetary college) and Vanderbilt chapter used to be part of Kuklos Aldephon (Old Southern KA) when the fraternity went under they joined deke. Kuklos adelphon is the original Southern KA. Kappa alpha order founder renamed his frat from phi kappa chi to "kappa alpha" in an attempt to ride the reputation of the old kappa alpha after the phi kappa psi chapter at Washington and lee confronted founder ward about the imitation of their name. It's all in the history and you can read about it too in the varlet.

By: DKE
by: Well   

The old Southern KA never was nearly as successful as Kappa Alpha Order, in fact Kappa Alpha Society was way more successful since at least they didn't go under 20 years after forming. KA Order may have taken their name (sort of since KA Society predated both of them), but I consider them a far more successful fraternity.

By: Well
#16by:    

Did the DU's have a big house across from the KA's until the mid 90's what were they like. In the early 80's I placed them right below the Beta's.

By: it'sover
#17by:    

This is what Spicoli thinks of the following Nationals (more or less in order of magnitude) www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYyyL_0CmSw

TKE
Theta Chi
Lambda Chi Alpha
Pi Kappa Alpha
Phi Kappa Sigma
Kappa Sigma
Sigma Phi Epsilon
Phi Delta Theta
Beta Theta Pi
Sigma Nu
Phi Gamma Delta
Alpha Tau Omega
Sigma Chi
Kappa Alpha Order\n\n\n\n\nExempted from this list in no particular order are: SAE, DKE, Alpha Delta Phi, Psi Upsilon, Zeta Psi, Chi Phi, Delta Phi, Sigma Phi. Note: SAE is the only large national that has thus far successfully resisted.

By: LOL
by: There   

Are a few big fraternities not on that list.

By: There

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.