facebook

texas omicron

by: Hookem

What's going on with Omicron lately? Are they ever going to reconcile with nationals? I know they were top tier when they were in good standing I wonder if that's still the case

Posted By: Hookem
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: someone   

no one knows what their current position with their nationals is aside from rumors, and know one knows quite where to classify them. They tend to get stuck somewhere between the top and upper-mid tier currently.

By: someone
#2  by: Hey   

If that's true, yeah, they're kinda SOL.

By: Hey
#3  by: Gotta say   

I give Omicron props for giving the finger to their nationals. They were kind stuck, and were basically about to have their chapter destroyed, and their nationals wanted money that wasn't owed to them. I respect them for basically fighting and winning that battle. Pretty much every KA I've talked to from other schools feels they did the right thing. The greedy nationals ended up with nothing to show except that they've totally lost site of their goals and lost one of their top chapters.

By: Gotta say
#4  by: Omicron   

Is falling fast. It's a shame, but will never be as good as KA was.

By: Omicron
#5  by: AAvery   

KA national office has lost its way and they're shutting some of the best and most traditional chapters. They even discourage the Old South Ball event and if you do hold it you are forbidden from wearing the Confederate grey. The national office is wholesale gutting KA traditions. What a shame. I'm. Surprised more KA chapters don't secede!

By: AAvery
#6  by: sicsempertyrannis   

IMO it is very evident how radical most of the national fraternities have become. There's only a few holdouts left who would fight tooth and claw for their chapters and brothers in the face of campus pressure or societal pressure. What's wrong wit strippers???! The three named above and I would also add zeta psi to the list too. Their national offices will give the school and media the finger before selling them out.

Sic semper tyrannis.

By: sicsempertyrannis
#7  by: It's sad   

When most national offices have gotten to the point where they'd pull the rug out from under you faster than the school would. I mean KA's nationals came in and performed their own investigation and tried to pursue harsher sanctions than the school. It's like the were trying to give the school enough info to kill the chapter, and when it didn't suffice they did it themselves and tried to steal assets that didn't belong to them.

By: It's sad
#8  by: doh!   

Reminds me of what happened to the Sigma Nus in the 90s. Got caught hazing and their hq was the one to give them the death sentence of 7 years. Also F'd the chapter by letting the bank foreclose on their house (now the Kappa Sigma house and land) when it was almost paidoff. Real sad.

By: doh!
by: YeahOct 24, 2012 4:47:35 PM

Wasn't Sig Nu top tier here in the 90s?

By: Yeah
by: jamesOct 26, 2012 11:19:07 AM

Was top tier until they got their charter pulled.

By: james
#9  by: Yeah   

The difference is that the fraternities shoulder way more of the risks than the sororities, so the ones, particularly with less reliable nationals and unsupportive alumni end up with a higher turn over rate than the sororities cause they get in trouble more often.

By: Yeah
#10  by: Truth   

ATO, Phi Delt, Fiji and SAE (late bloomer in early 80's) were the top houses when I was there. KA was considered pretty good as well but they appealed to a different type of guy and completely kept to themselves.

I was referring to Phi Delt and ATO losing their chapters. Really changed the entire greek landscape at Texas with two of the oldest (Phi Delt was the first house on campus) and most prestigious (both filled with super old families) chapters disappearing. In the following decade, Fijis remained strong and SAE got stronger with more disparity forming between these two groups and the rest of the houses at Texas. In recent years, it appears that perhaps Sig Ep has benefitted most from this turn of events as I hear they are becoming more competitive and getting a stronger group. I have seen a similar phenomenon with Kappa Sig in the last couple years as well.

Sigma Chi was well liked and had some really good guys during my time. They also had some random guys as well. I would say they were solid upper/mid tier and competed mostly with Sig Ep...and maybe Pike, Delt and Kappa Sig (which once had been very strong).

Beta was more mid/mid tier and had some good guys but existed on the peripheral. They were somewhat anonymous. Perhaps the location of their house was to blame.

By: Truth
by: huh?Oct 28, 2012 6:18:43 PM

I didn't realize SAE only became top tier that recently (still a pretty long run and I figure they'd been top tier before), I thought the Phi Delt, Fiji and SAE chapters were all founded at the same time as the school (in fact I thought Fiji was founded first).

By: huh?
by: huh?Oct 28, 2012 6:23:03 PM

just looked it up, it says SAE was actually founded in 1882, so it appears they were founded first.

by: @huhOct 28, 2012 7:31:57 PM

If you search a bit more you will find that sae Texas rho's founding date is misleading. The original charter was founded at another college in 1882 I forget which one, but went extinct. When the chater at us was founded they transferred the charter. Phi delt was the first fraternity at it. Another interesting note is Fiji dying out in the late 1890s and reestablishing itself in again in 1901.

By: @huh
by: huh?Oct 28, 2012 7:35:21 PM

Interesting, I was curious about how it was founded a year before the school, and I guess that answers it, when were SAE actually founded at UT? And couldn't tell between Phi Delt and Fiji because they were both founded in 1883 and Fiji didn't show the specific date.

by: @huhOct 28, 2012 7:36:29 PM

Found it on google books in one of sae's catalogues. Tx rho originally at Marvin college in waxahachie tx. Chapter died and when the UT chapter was founded in 1884 the tx rho charter was transferred.

By: @huh
by: @yeahNov 15, 2012 10:58:03 AM

What were the phi kappa sigmas like back in the day or DKE? I remember seeing a lot of photos in the gym of IM sports champions with DKE being featured in many of the photos. Where was kappa sigma ranked in the 80s/90s? Top tier? Above sigma nu and pike?

By: @yeah
by: TruthNov 19, 2012 1:06:08 AM

I do not even member Phi Kappa Sigma (did you mean Phi Psi?). Now DKE was somewhat of an anomaly. Through the 50's-60's and they were really strong but were always smaller in membership than other top houses (by their own choosing). They had some super old families from Houston and Dallas as well as a broad range of really good guys from small towns. Later in 70's and 80's they continued to be good (and maintained some of the old family lines) but were more on the fringe comprised largely of independent thinking members that were not your stereotypical fraternity men. Their parties were crazy.

Kappa Sig was absolutely a top house in the 50's, 60's and 70's. They were top 4 for sure with the ATO, Phi Delt and Fiji. Their original house was on south side of 19th at the top of the hill . It was a red brick colonial that put every other house to shame (and still to this day would). It was more akin to the grand houses of the SEC. they moved to West capus in the early 70's and continued to thrive. Don't exactly remember what caused them to change in terms the quality of their membership....might have been hazing. By the 80's and 90's, they still had some good guys but they also had a lot of randoms which somewhat compromised their image. Glad to here they are making a comeback as they have some great history in their chapter.

By: Truth
by: Didn'tNov 19, 2012 3:05:17 PM

Kappa sig get kicked off and recolonized in the late 90s or early 2000s?

By: Didn't
by: @TruthNov 19, 2012 10:38:08 PM

thanks for the posts. Your insight is neat to hear especially when comparing the past and the present. Some things change and some things haven't. Do you have any history on Delta Upsilon (aka Ducks?)? I heard that there used to be intense rivalry between DU and KA because they lived right across from each other. DU then disappeared and KA bought their house which I believe they sold for a pretty penny and the plot is now an apartment complex.

By: @Truth
by: @TruthNov 23, 2012 6:14:38 PM

The Dekes were really crazy at UT. They hazed (killed a footbal pledge by electrocution) and partied like there was no tomorrow. Seems to be the way Dekes operate. Tulane DKE was notorious as were their neighboring LSU DKE. The Tulane DKE DebuTramp party and parade was outrageous.

By: @Truth

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.