facebook

sorority recruitment

by:    

I'll be a freshman at UW-Madison this fall and I'm very interested in rushing. Unfortunately not one of my family members have been apart of a sorority so this is all fairly new to me. I've been trying to find out as much information about Greek Life as I could but I was just wondering how competitive rushing is at UW-Madison. Seeing as I don't have any recs I almost feel as if it'll be difficult to get a bid from a sorority I really want to be apart of. With that said, I'm very open minded about checking out all of the sororities, I'm just worried that when it comes down to it I'll maybe have 3 favorite sororities but won't get a bid for any. Sorry for this being pretty long too, I'm just wondering how cut-throat Greek Life is at UW-Madison.

Posted By: flyhigh
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

you dont need to be a legacy to get into a good house at uw. it'll get you through first rounds and gaurentee you a second round, but that might just give you false hope. sororities HAVE to invite you back if you're a legacy, and they might really dislike you or judge you harder since you're taking someone elses spot due to being a legacy coming back. THAT being said its just not really a good or bad thing at UW, and thats different at every school.

if you're yourself, you'll end up where you should and the other stuff doesn't matter. you've probably seen on here what people think about all the sororities, and take it as real or not as you want. some of its bs, some is true.

By: psh
#2by:    

Don't worry at all! Rushing at UW is nothing like the competitiveness of Southern schools or even other big 10s like IU or U of I. UW Greek life is just as fun but much more laid back, and you'll find the same is true of the rush experience. I'm a recent alum so I can tell you the girls in the houses are looking for the same thing you are - their future best friends and sisters! The most important thing is just to be yourself. Hopefully you will forget you're even rushing at all and just feel like you're having coffee with a good friend! That is what it's all about! As for the legacy thing don't worry about that either - I was a three-time legacy at a house, and they were my first choice. But being a leg was probably what got me cut - houses are required to bring you back after first rounds, but some are ALSO required to give you a bid if they pref you. So if they aren't 100% sure about a legacy after second rounds, they will cut her rather than invite her to pref and risk losing a spot on their bid list. You don't have to worry about that! Looking back it was a blessing, I was clouded by how much I wanted to be in the same house as my mom - getting cut let me choose the house I really belonged in. (It was also the only house I preffed at. But that didn't matter, because it was the right one!) Just take a deep breath, remember to smile, and enjoy it! Pledging is just so exciting. In a couple weeks you'll be wearing your new letters with your new sisters! Best of luck to you!

By: Alumn
by: THIS   

Well said.

By: THIS
#3by:    

Rush at UW isn't competitive at all. There are many schools where the Greek system is so strong that two-thirds of the girls going through rush don't make it into a house. There are also many schools where if you don't rush as a first semester freshman you don't have a chance in the world of getting into a good house. At those schools Greeks pretty much run the show and are extremely strong in leadership and scholarship. At UW Greek life is pretty much just a way to drink with more attractive people, and we all know how important drinking is. In short, enjoy rush and Greek Life at UW, but just don't think you will be part of a truly great Greek system.

By: Beyond

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.