facebook

How risky is suicide bidding?

by:    

I really like one sorority more than the other one I got back for pref but I'm wondering how likely it would be for me to successfully suicide bid.

Posted By: hi
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

It’s dependent on experience only. If you’re confident you’ll get a bid from the one you want, do it, but there isn’t a set probability

By: Pnm
#2by:    

Suicide bidding doesn’t help your chances of getting into your one/top sorority. Only do it if you’d rather not be in a sorority at all than be in the second house.

By: Easy
#3by:    

I might, I just don’t like my second house and it’s hard cause I don’t think I would be happy there so I don’t wanna accept a bid from them but I’m scared that I could mess up the algorithm because I’m suicide bidding

By: maybe

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#4by:    

Don’t do it. For one, yes, it can hurt your chances of getting the house you want, even if you are on the bid list. I have witnessed this happening in previous years. The matching method will penalize anyone that suicide bids, and it may mean you won’t end up with a bid from your house, depending on where you are on the bid list. In terms of getting a bid to your number one choice, it would be way better to rank both of the houses, in the order you want, and then just not accept the bid if you are not matched with the house you wanted. Your chances of getting your first choice house are higher if you rank both than they are if you suicide bid.
In that scenario, if you get a bid to your second choice and you DON’T accept the bid, then you could be eligible to COB immediately, and you might be able end up somewhere else if you are able to be considered by any of the other houses. Alternatively, you could wait to COB next fall or enter recruitment as a sophomore to see if you find a better fit. If you ACCEPT a bid though, and drop out as a new member before you are initiated, no other Panhellenic sorority can extend a bid to you for a full 12 months. And if you are fully initiated and ever drop, you can never be a member of any other Panhellenic sorority.

I really urge you to rank both houses. You will have a better shot at getting the house you want. And if you don’t get it, I’d actually suggest accepting the second choice bid. You may be happier there than you would expect. The system has a way of working out the way that it is meant to, and you may just find it was were you were supposed to be all along.
Best of luck to you and all of the other PNMs!

By: Advisor
by: No   

Um if you get a bid from your second house and then decline it you can’t COB. You can only COB if you rank one chapter and then don’t get a bid or if you drop out of formal rush

By: No
by: Good info though.   

Yes, if you rank both and get a bid from one, even if you don’t go to bid day and accept it, than you can’t COB for a full year. But the rest of the info in the post above is really good info!
It can hurt your chances to get your top pick if you suicide bid. Sometimes it works out for the person, but everyone is penalized for doing it, and it could mean your chances are severely more slim of getting the match. You’d have to know that you are high enough on the bid list for the penalty to not affect you.
If you get a bid to a house you don’t want, go to bid day anyway and check things out. Go to the new member meetings. Whether you get a bid and don’t show up/accept it or you pledge and join the new member term, you will still be eligible to COB another house 12 months later so long as you drop before initiation. Chances are, you’ll be so happy once you give the house a chance that none of this will matter anyway!
Bottom line, say no to suicide bidding!

By: Good info though.
by: um?   

Yea but like what if I literally only had one house? I can only put one down

By: um?
by: Straight up lie   

"Your chances of getting your first choice house are higher if you rank both than they are if you suicide bid."
Straigjt. Up. Lie.
They go over this in the pref bid meeting too.

By: Straight up lie
by: No   

@straight up lie- just because you want to justify suicide bidding doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Rhos are supposed to educate the PNMs and tell them why suicide bidding is not recommended. It is not a lie.

@um? If you only got one house for prefs, that is different. When the bids are put together, they can see that was the case and you are not penalized for that. Don’t worry. And best of luck that you find your perfect fit! You don’t need two houses at prefs to find the one you belong in. You’re lucky to know they wanted you as much as you might want them too!

And to be clear, it is not the individual chapters that would penalize someone for suiciding them. The penalty for suiciding is at the panhel level, during the process where chapter bid lists are matched with the PNMs’ rankings.

by: Straight up lie   

@no.

Just because you want to perpetuate lies doesn't make them true. Just stop. I said the statement that "Your chances of getting your first choice house are higher if you rank both than they are if you suicide bid" is a straight up lie because it is. Yoir chances of getting your first choice house ARE NOT impacted by whether you suicide them or not. Either they pick you or they don't. There is no algorithm penalizing you in any way whatsoever and they cover this explicitly at the preferred round ranking meetings. You might want to try to discourage people from suicide bidding thats fine but stop lying to them. If you're actually in a house you should stay off recruitment.

By: Straight up lie
by: __   

If you suicide a house, but are lower than quota on their bid list, then the penalty is that you will not have a place in the house, and will miss out on the chance of receiving a bid at all. When lists are made, they will go down the chapter’s bid list comparing it to all the PNMs who ranked them as number 1, regardless of suicide or not. The women will be matched so that as many PNMs are able to get their number one choice as possible. That said, if enough PNMs that were higher on the bid list than you, and they ranked them as house #1 and took up all the places on the bid list, then that means you will be completely left out and will not receive a bid at all. This has even happened to legacies and others who have suicided chapters, if they are ranked low on the bid list and the spaces fill up. If you don’t get a bid in this case, you are eligible for COB or can get a snap bid, but there are no guarantees that will happen. If you know you want the sorority experience, you should never suicide bid due to the risk that you will end up with nothing in the end.

By: __
by: Mom   

Actually, if you sign an agreement and drop your second choice, then you can't COB. You have to wait for the next year to rush again.

By: Mom
#5by:    

During the mraba signing video it said it doesn’t matter if you rank one or two for how likely you are to get ur top house.

#6by:    

It doesn't screw up the algorithm. An answer under "pref rankings" post explains the bid process pretty well. If you don't want the other house, don't rank it. I don't know why its called "suicide" bidding ... getting stuck with a house that you don't want sounds worse to me. [Then you can at least try your luck with COB]

By: Algorithm
#7by:    

as someone who has gone through the process on both sides, your chances of getting ur top choice is less if you suicide. tell the girl during pref that you're only interested in that sorority and if they like you they can move you up to ensure you get in. it is a DIFFERENT ranking system than people are explaining^it to be

By: in a sorority
by: Mom   

Then why in the Panhellenic video do they repeatedly tell the PRM just before signing that a suicide bid does not decrease your chance of getting your first choice?

By: Mom
#8by:    

It depends, its easy to COB tho

By: Rat

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.