facebook

rushing as a soph - rec letters yes/no?

by: Soph PNM

Hi Guys.

I'm rushing as a sophomore, and while I didn't initiate freshman year (rushed, pledged for a month, dropped), I still met a LOT of Greeks. I have friends in all of the houses, but this IS NOT one of those "Oh my Goood will my popularity get me a bid?" posts. Rather, should I bother getting letters of rec? Once girls who see me up on the slideshow or whatever, whether they like me or not, would a letter of rec even sway the decision?

I know it couldn't HURT, but if a girl who doesn't like me in a house says no, would it make any difference at all? Btw, these letters of recs wouldn't be from close family friends. I'm international (European) and we don't have a Greek system over here (although I did research and managed to get letters of recs for half of the houses last year, by e-mailing alums, interviewing or sending out my resume.) Even the first time I went through rush it didn't seem as though the letters did much, with me continually getting called back to houses where I DIDN'T have recs and dropped immediately from houses where I did.

Thanks!

Posted By: Soph PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: ...   

Yes, get letters of recs. Always better too.

Considering your situation, keep in mind:
-Since you are a sophomore you are no longer as attractive as a prospect. So get letters of rec.
-Your old house probably will not offer you a bid again.
-If a girl doesn't like you for a good reason, she can black ball you.

Continue through rush, but it is very unlikely that you'll get a house better than your old one. Its always worth a try though

By: ...
by: another sophJun 10, 2013 5:36:18 PM

Hi, I'm another sophomore PNM in the same boat too.

What does black ball mean? And what reasons would black balling be for?
Can you get letters of rec from current girls in houses or only alumna? And do they have to be from USC or can they be from anywhere?

Also, I know this sounds really superficial, but I know houses are always looking for "face girls" to up their pledge class, and in consequence their ranking as a whole. Does being pretty/hot help your chances of getting back into the house your dropped/depledged from? Or not really? Like, once you're done with them, they're done with you kind of deal? Or does being pretty/hot kind of give you an edge to a second chance. Again, sorry for sounding so superficial but I really regret dropping the house I was in and would do anything to be back! :(

By: another soph
#2  by: Soph PNM   

Thanks for the response! So can I definitely count out my old house and the house I preffed it over? (I actually preffed my old house over a 'higher ranked' house)

By: Soph PNM
#3  by: Soph PNM   

Also, I know I have the option of not going back to the house that I dropped the previous year. If I'm not likely to get a bid from them again, should I just not go back to the house?

by: another sophJun 10, 2013 5:47:39 PM

Is it because you feel awkward about it too? I feel like they would judge me harder. But I would give it a shot ya know? Better to do than to regret you didn't right? That's how I see it anyway because you never know. They wanted you once so maybe they might want you again. But that's just my opinion and it's rare, but some girls I know got the houses they dropped. But again, it's rare.

by: PNMJun 10, 2013 6:45:17 PM

I'm sure it'll be a little awkward. Personally I'm sad because I think I preffed the wrong house last year... :/

By: PNM
#4  by: ...   

Its funny, I've been answering your questions and I'm fairly certain you were in my house hahaha.

During rush, its mandatory to return to every house you've been invited to. You have the chance of being disqualified from rush if you don't. Trust me, there will be no hard feelings when you go back to whatever house and no one will be rude or mean to you and that you'll only go there one day unless they believe they should give you another chance.

p.s. There is a girl who is in my pledge class who joined her freshman year and came back the next year to join my pledge class. She couldn't be loved more. So, it all depends on situation.

#5  by: Soph PNM   

To ...: I dropped a week after rush, but it's very possible we met in the time frame. I wish I had a way of figuring out who you are just as easily. Regardless, thank you for your responses - especially the bit about no hard feelings and rudeness, that does quite help since it's a scary prospect. Maybe I'll get lucky to be rushed by you in the fall. I thought I had heard something about not going back to a house where you had gotten a bid and then dropped, but I must've been mistaken. Rush itself isn't any fun, especially since I felt like a lot of the girls I met had been trained to do it since they were tiny, especially the legacies, while I had my family mocking me for wanting to join something that's portrayed pretty poorly in the media and non existent where we live.

Also, one more q: as a sophomore pnm, how many recs should I strive to get? How many would be too few or too little?

by: Active sisterJun 14, 2013 3:53:49 AM

IIRC, PNMs are not required to attend convo days at a house where they've been offered a bid (e.g. If a girl drops because she doesn't want to be in that house, not for like financial reasons or whatever). To the best of my knowledge, PNMs are allowed to attend parties at the house to which they received a bid and dropped before initiation last year. I would think that if you're still interested in the house but couldn't join it for some reason beyond your control (money, family issues, health, whatever), if you make it clear to the house that you're still interested, they should be understanding (though don't by any means think that means you're guaranteed a bid).

By: Active sister
#6  by: ...   

To Soph PNM and another Soph:

Not sure how many recs to be honest. When I rushed, I had max 3 at a specific sorority, just because I had that many family friends wanting to write me one. I would go with 1 or 2 for each house because the point is to be on their radar.

But sadly with a lot of these questions, I can't answer them to the best of my ability because I am not part of the recruitment team at my house and don't really ask my friends in other houses about it. I'd hate to lead you astray about something that I'm not an expert on.

Black balling is a girl specifically asking for a certain PNM not to be in their house. I haven't heard many instances of it that could be proved as anything more than a rumor and I haven't really heard of any cases in my house.

another Soph: You do have a chance of getting back into the sorority you pledged last semester, so don't lose all hope. Just rush and see what happens(Maybe someone else on her can give you better advice about this)

My best advice for you both is to simply get letters of rec, ensure you have above a 3.0 and be yourself. There is no harm in trying and you never know where you'll end up. Good luck this fall!

#7  by: another soph   

Who would you get rec letters from? People you work for, professors, etc? Or any woman you know who's been a part of a sorority that you're hoping to get in? Current or graduated sorority members? And if so, would it be limited to only USC alumni?

#8  by: Soph   

Another poster said to ensure to have above a 3.0. If you don't will that hurt you a lot? Do many girls get cut all the way from rush?

By: Soph

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.