facebook

rich = top sorority?

by:    

I’ve heard that top sororities only take girls who come from rich families. Is this true? If so how do they even know?

Posted By: wtf.
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Not quite like that. That is an outsider's perception. It's really just about who the sorority members already know.

If there are 'rich' girls in a sorority, they will know the girls coming in from their old high schools and home towns and friends of friends who run in the same circles. They will naturally gravitate to each other in the same sororities because they already know, or know of, each other. Sororities always prefer to take girls they know over girls they don't, and the new girls feel the same way about where they want to join.

By: Nah

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#2by:    

No there’s so many poor chi os and KDs who try to cosplay as wealthy

By: Omg no
by: unc   

This is facts. There are girls in both whose entire wardrobe is second hand clothes because they are obsessed with giving off rich girl vibes but they have no money

By: unc
#3by:    

Not necessarily “rich” but some have a materialistic view. I also agree with it being all about who knows who from certain areas. My friend was asked about the amount her parents made during rush and decided to not do it anymore. Not everyone is sororities have hella money but play the part.

By: kinda
by: ^   

I'm having a really hard time believing that an active asked a pnm that. It's something that a sorority hater in general would say. But also I have definitely overheard former pnm's making stuff up when they get dropped, just to save face to make it sound like it was their decision.

By: ^
#4by:    

the bottom line is that if you are in a sorority you are paying thousands of dollars for membership regardless of rank. For the "top" houses like DDD, XO, KD, even adpi the girls often vouch for family friends or girls that went to their high school. If girls went to St. Mary's or Lovett it's most likely they come from wealthy families. Rich people run in similar circles and sororities are historically known for being classist and white. That doesn't mean that girls are only getting a bid to a top house because they are rich and just because a girl isn't rich doesn't mean she can't get a bid to a top house. It's all about who you know and how your personality is.

By: sort of
#5by:    

Don't go to any house's recruitment already thinking that they won't want to take you, for any reason. They will smell it on you. Be confident and don't undermine your own rush.

By: Don't believe it
by: lol   

this is honestly great advice that I wish I had been given. honestly, confidence is everything; if you don't have it, fake it until you make it. but if you feel judged over things like money, do not join that sorority whatsoever!!

By: lol
#6by:    

I have friends in "top" sororities who feel like they are judged for not being rich enough, it makes me sad. I am in a "low" sorority but I know they never judged me about that kind of thing, and I love them for it.

By: just sayin
by: really?   

True, some people FEEL like they are being judged, but are they really? People often go off assumptions and find judgement where it really doesn't exist. It's a bit immature to automatically think that rich people = mean and snobby. Maybe there's something else going on and it's easy to throw out that "rich" stereotype.

By: really?
#7by:    

DDD is literally not taking u unless u come from insane money, which results in them not having great PCs as of late. Money doesn’t equal fun and personable. (Not saying all ddd is like this, but most) you will not get called back to tri delt if ur parents don’t hold some high power job/u didn’t go to private school

By: Yeah

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.