facebook

experience as poc in greek life?

by:    

i'm not sure if i should rush next year or not-- i don't want to be ostracized or be the token minority if i join a sorority. i understand greek life is predominantly white, but honestly, am i going to be looked at differently/singled out as a poc especially in surroundings like at frat parties? do guys in the good frats here generally just like white girls? i've heard greek life is a good way to meet guys in frats but if i'm a poc is there just no point? pls asking for an honest opinion, i dont want to waste my time

Posted By: potentialrushing
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

so there is a major lack of diversity in who rushes. It’s hard to not feel like a token, but I think you’ll find that a lot of the srats are working on educating, promoting inclusivity, and listening.
I can’t speak for frat boys, but I trust that you’ll be able to make friends just fine. You might run into people you dislike, you might not vibe with a sorority, but at the end of the day that’s what the rush process is all about. I know that’s not super helpful, but it is such a widely different experience depending on which srat you join

By: hi
#2by:    

I am not a poc but I feel absolutely terrible for anyone that is in greek life. In my srat (top tier), they are incredibly isolated and it needs to change.

By: Well

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#3by:    

Hey, I’m also a poc interested in rushing this upcoming fall. There was one post here and the girl said that her president told her that she only got picked because she was black. In the comments people pointing out that this srat was ddd and they are known for excluding out people. They apparently just prioritize net worth when recruiting yet majority say that people is ddd are pretentious and phony and pretend to be rich when in reality are middle class at best. I’m personally from a upper class family and just hoping for the best that I don’t get put in this group. Though I think we should take everything you read online with a grain of salt, if the same thing is being told repeatedly about an organization, it’s probably true. Overall, I think it’s worth giving it a shot, you don’t have to commit if you don’t want to. I’m just doing it for the experience and no regrets aspect of college but I’ve heard a lot of people just end up making friends through the rush process regardless of whether they commit to a srat.

By: Distraught

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.