facebook

sorority expansion

by:    

Is SMU open for expansion? And who would you like to see on campus?

Posted By: curious
Page 1 of 2
#1by:    

No it's not. We have almost no chance of any other sororities coming onto campus in the foreseeable future. Our community is way too unstable and the administration recognizes this.

By: Lol
by: Curious   

How does panhel plan on stabilizing the community then?

By: Curious
by: bs   

This is BS. the community is quite stable but there is no need for more sororities

By: bs
by: yes   

yes, we could actually use more fraternities as they are all small compared to sororities

By: yes
#2by:    

Seeing as several hundred girls dropped out of rush, I think that shows we need more sororities.

By: Ummm
by: Or   

Or maybe it means people need to not have their eyes set on a single sorority and trust the system. Because it works, but only if people let it.

By: Or
by: true   

Good point

By: true
by: Agree   

Above commenters are completely wrong. It's like they don't know anyone who went through rush. Almost everyone I knew dropped because they only had ONE sorority left and we all know which one that is. That shows that something needs to change. There's nothing wrong with that one sorority, but many girls feel that it's not a fit for them and would've taken almost any other sorority. The more people deny that, the longer our Greek community is going to be unstable.

By: Agree
by: truth   

As long as we say mean things about any house, we are in danger of not being able to ever stabilize our community. We should encourage the truth that all our houses are great. They're all different, which is important so that each PNM can find a place. But if you are even gossipy to girls you know and say "well, they're all good except one," then you're the one keeping things a mess here.

By: truth
#3by:    

Also, the system does not work. It's flawed. If it did those 95% of those girls would be gamma phis. Nobody wants to have their hand forced. Just because they only got one sorority left doesn't mean that they belong there. The fact that anyone would say that is insulting. If they don't want to be there and they don't fit in then they don't. End of story.

By: Agree
by: actually   

Actually comment above is insulting

By: actually
by: ^   

Yeah, I'd rather be in Gamma Phi Beta than in the same sorority as this kunt!

By: ^

The real truth is that Gamma Phi has a problem recruiting entirely because there are people like you who lack panhellenic spirit and say demeaning stuff like that. We should be telling all the girls we know in high school that ALL our sororities are good and bragging each of them up instead of being hateful about one or more.

by: so true   

That is so true, and girls should know that if they join a sorority and get their friends to join as well, they have the power to take it wherever they want it to go. It's really not that difficult to see, although there are people on this site for sure who don't want to see that happen because they are so insecure about wanting to be thought of as "better". Don't buy into it!

By: so true
#4by:    

What happened is that no one wanted the bottom house but that IS actually where they fit in, they just don't want to admit it. Houses will keep closing until none are left.

By: no

Amen!

#5by:    

I have personally talked to Panhellenic and SMU is starting an expansion branch next year meaning the 2015-2016 school year a new soroity will be on SMU's campus.

By: It's true
by: Lol   

Seeing as a majority of the sororities voted against it, no they aren't.

By: Lol

The post is untrue. There will be no new sorority at SMU.

#6by:    

SMU's bottom sorority would be a top sorority at other schools. PNMs who choose to drop out rather than accept a bid to that sorority are just too immature to be in greek life. I wanted to be a part of greek life because I saw how much my mom enjoyed her sorority sisters in all the years after college. I want to have friends for life like that. Girls are crazy if they think they're too good for any house and that being independent will give them that kind of sisterhood.

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: well said   

well said

By: well said
#7by:    

Over 300 girls dropped out of rush, even if every class made quota over 200 girls would be out of a house.

By: Expansion
by: Quota   

Quota is based on how many girls go through pref day divided by the number of houses. So it would have been higher had nobody dropped

By: Quota
by: so   

So if any new freshman are reading this, don't drop out of rush. Grab all of your friends and join any house. They are all truly great and you and your friends can choose to make any house stronger and have a role in guiding your sorority to where you want it to go with your presence. And you should know that if you drop out of rush, your chances of being accepted anywhere the next year are greatly diminished.....

By: so

Yes, and it doesn't take a genius to see that if you and lots of your friends are fun people and join the same sorority, the sorority will be a fun sorority. But there are definitely people on this site who don't want that to happen because they want only their own sororities to be thought of as "good". That's nonsense and unless you have a very diminished self image you should know that wherever you go will be great and you will absoulutely find great friends for life

#8by:    

Freshman if you drop out there's a required sophomore quota. Do what feels right for you.

By: Drop
by: misleading ^^^   

That is totally misleading because the sophomore quota is one or 2 per sorority. So OK, maybe 8 to 12 girls get accepted as sophomores. No matter what you see on this site, Sororities that reject a girl as a freshman will not accept her as a sophomore or junior.

By: misleading ^^^

yes, mostly transfer students

by: No   

These comments are misleading. There are definitely girls that got cut from everyone and re rushed after knowing more people and got in freshman year. IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE IN A SORORITY DONT SETTLE. these people call tell you all you want that you weren't meant to be in a sorority and the system works and blah blah but only YOU know if you fit in somewhere and want to be there. If you don't click w the girls and you're going to be unhappy what's the point in joining? Ignore these girls. They're all salty because ppl talk bad about their sororities. There's nothing wrong with their sororities but for example if you like to party and their sorority doesn't go out much you're going to be unhappy because you won't click w the girls. It's better to be a GDI then in a sorority and unhappy.

By: No
by: no   

no, above comment is not true about being accepted once rejected. And if you and your friends who join a sorority like to go out than you will influence your sorority to go out or to do whatever it is that is important to you.

By: no
by: agreed   

Yes, it's obvious that there are people who simply don't want all the sororities to be strong, as that creates more competition for their own sororites

By: agreed
#9by:    

Pretty obvious that everyone on this website is oblivious to reality. Talking bad about girls who decide to drop because they don't like the sorority they have left isn't going to make them want that sorority any more. Adding a new sorority would change up Greek life at SMU and make all sororities a viable option. Obviously some girls are just scared the new one would hurt their own when in reality it could help. But, since nothing changes, the same sororities will still struggle. Also don't listen to these idiots about sophomore rush. I'm in a sorority, so I know how it works for sophomores. Sometimes people fall through the cracks but re rush and find a home they were cut from before. Most houses took 6-10 sophomores. But whatever believe what you want in your false reality,

By: Pretty
by: faulty logic   

Above comment is faulty logic from someone who obviously is not in a sorority. My guess - you got cut from every sorority or almost every sorority and now you're looking for a new one to join. If you dropped- that was your mistake and your dumb decision. Blame yourself and not the system for your loss

By: faulty logic
by: blatant lie   

blatant lie also about most houses taking 6-10 sophomores. Simply not true

By: blatant lie
by: ~~~   

a new sorority would be at the very bottom. full of randoms that no one else wanted.

By: ~~~
by: ^^   

And randoms are..... not legacy somewhere?

By: ^^
by: ^^   

not from Dallas?

By: ^^
by: OP   

OP here and I'm in a sorority. I know my stuff. I'm pretty sure that these commenters are not. Because they obviously know nothing. Or maybe they're in bottom tier sororities and think that lying is going to help people take their sororities? It's not. There is nothing wrong with your sororities. But don't make girls feel bad for cutting you. There are top and middle tiers that get cut too, it happens to everyone.

By: OP
by: ^^^   

Really don't care who you are or what sorority you (may be) in, but kind of think you got rejected from all of them...you are obvioulsy the one lying and trying to convince others of your personal agenda

By: ^^^
by: panhellenic   

It's hard to believe that any of the commenters on here are actually in sororities because if they were they'd be more welcoming to PNMs and encouraging them that all our houses have a place at SMU and have beautiful, talented, smart girls.

By: panhellenic

yes, there should be an "all for one, one for all" effort to make all Greek organizations the best they can be at SMU

#10by:    

What if TWO sororities got together and were confident enough and willing to change SMU?

These two "mid to top" sororities would mentor and PR promote the 2 "bottom" sororities. More PMNs would feel confident in "another great choice" and show up at those sororities on bid day.

Would you do this?

By: Make a stronger SMU

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.