facebook

money obsessed

by: Do I want this?

So I noticed someone else must be thinking about the money snob part of this. Its been said on this site several times by certain sorority members that you can't get into their sororities unless you're "really really rich". Why do those particular sororities care so much about the family money of pnms? I happen to come from plenty of money but that's not how I choose my friends. Do they have a commitee that googles everyones family for financial holdings? Creepy......Who wants that?????????

Posted By: Do I want this?
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: eh   

there is no commitee that stalks pnms and their families... its just that at SMU the dues are so expensive that most people that aren't rich can't pay them

By: eh
by: Then why?Sep 3, 2013 6:04:55 PM

Ok, so what you're saying is that everyone has expensive dues. So then why when I look at this site have I seen so many comments only from Kappa, Theta and some from Piphi, saying that they will only give you a bid if you're "really, really rich?" No one else mentions money or seems to write or care about it on this site.It must be really important to them in their PNMs. While money is great to have, It isn't how I would choose my friends or want to be chosen. And I still wonder, if as you say, all the dues are high, how do they find out how much money their PNMs have?

By: Then why?
#2  by: LOOK   

If you look at the previous panhellenic recruitment pamphlets (they're online if you search) there's a page with the average dues per semester.
Kappa has the highest expenses, with their new member fees being like, $3000 for the first semester.

Add on to the fact that there is a certain image some houses want to maintain and there's nothing wrong with that.

But money is a big deal because these organizations want to make sure that their members are able to pay their dues.

And these houses you mention are a top house because of the fact that a majority of the girls they take are well connected within the houses. They come in knowing girls from high school or their hometowns, so they know whether the girl has money or doesn't from that alone.

Then there's zipcodes. If you're from HP, Memorial, Southlake or like, Mountain Brook in Alabama, then yeah, you more than likely come from money AND you're also probably a legacy.

But like I mention a lot of girls come in knowing girls. Obviously those girls will be their picks. Why wouldn't they choose someone they're already friends with?

By: LOOK
#3  by: Interesting..   

So basicly, you feel that what makes a house at SMU "top" is everyone wanting to get in because they know each other before they come. And because everyone knows each other, the pledge class is basicly filled before rush. So, no one should look at the "top" houses at SMU unless they come from a few zip codes. That's so interesting. There is nothing wrong with that but I thought most people went to college to experience new things and meet new people

By: Interesting..
by: ...Sep 4, 2013 7:36:54 PM

No, I never said that.

It's kind of a domino effect. Say brittany is from Orange County and her parents make bank, then when she sees that Margaret from Orange County is going through rush and remembers seeing her in the hallways at private school or from down the street, she knows she has money. And then she remembers Margaret was a cheerleader and really involved in school. So she thinks that they'd have something in common. Maybe Margaret gets invited back another round and they give it a go. etc

Also, it's private so you can only speculate, but some houses may want to maintain an image. They may only want wealthy legacies or wealthy brunettes or taller blondes or girls who are business majors etc. it's private and one can only speculate.

And you don't have to be well connected but it does help of course

And why wouldn't someone with connects have an advantage? Stranger vs girl you've known since elementary school. hmmmm

By: ...
#4  by: well   

there are definitely a lot of well connected girls in the "top" houses but you don't necessarily have to know anyone before coming to college to get in. if you are an extremely social person and start getting to know people right away, you still have a great chance! it's just that the girls who already have connections in the houses are a step ahead.

By: well

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.