by:    

Do sororities here care if you’re a legacy

Posted By: @
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

duh

By: .
#2by:    

Every sorority has a private membership selection criteria based on their standards, purposes, and policies. Each house requires something different of its women. You only need to be yourself during recruitment to earn the right to be bid, because legacy or no you should be able to reasonably find your one true sorority home.

By: knowledge is power
by: truth   

Unless you have less than a 3.2 GPA, then “being yourself” won’t cut it. To answer the main question simply, yes sororities care if you’re a legacy next question

By: truth
#3by:    

The short answer is that they are SUPPOSED to. But they don't always.

When I rushed a few years ago, I was a double legacy for ADPi, had a 3.7 high school GPA, national merit/honors, on a full scholarship to the UK Honors program, had a couple extracurriculars and a job in high school, plus I volunteered with their philanthropy RMHC for many years with my mom - and I was invited back to many other "top tier" sororities in rush. I was cut by ADPi in the second to last round and I still don't know wtf I did wrong. I had really bad self esteem issues for a while after that cause the only reason I could think of was maybe the way I look? Everything had seemingly gone super well to me.
My relatives wrote to ADPi's nationals trying to find out why and were basically told to get over it, which made them so angry one of them (my mom) renounced her membership. I mean I'd practically been raised to be an ADPi - my mom had me in high school and there are toddler pics of me in their letters on their Spring break trip (I even joked about it with one of the girls during rush). I also brought up how I'd visited Wesleyan in Macon, GA where ADPi was founded with my mom the year before. I still don't know what I did wrong, and that kinda bugs me a bit. But whatever, I got involved in other stuff on campus to fill my time. I can definitely say though that when I have kids going to college I'm going to steer them away from Greek life (if it's even still around then).

It's not like this is Ole Miss or Alabama or FSU where there are literally more legacies than the quota; idk why some UK sororities gotta be like this.

By: Hm

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Nope   

How did your mother have you in high school and then go on to join ADPI? And who the hell dresses her toddler in sorority letters?

By: Nope
#4by:    

A Legacy should be given first priority in Fraternity/Sorority Rush.

That is the purpose/reason of LEGACY.

If the organization does not honor this, then by all means, CUT OFF ALL DONATIONS. Good for your mother!!!

The excuse of "not being a right fit" is lame and spineless.

Yes, you and your mother should do everything possible to let everyone know this. Spread it FAR AND WIDE!

You didn't do anything wrong at all. The decision to cut you was a spineless decision by upper level membership.

Enjoy your time at U.K.!

By: Legacy
by: .   

Just because you’re a legacy doesn’t mean you’re a right fit for that chapter. Why would you write a letter and want to be in a chapter that did not want you? Everything happens for a reason and they just didn’t see you fitting in. Nothing in life is given. Being a legacy isn’t an automatic bid, and it shouldn’t be. Adpi is top tier and they are very selective. I’m sorry it messed with your self esteem, it’s never easy being cut from anything in life, but look at it on the bright side.... you probably found the chapter you belonged in, they just weren’t it.

By: .
#5by:    

Greek life exists on college campuses due to the money donated by alumni.

If a Legacy gets "cut" then alumni "cut" you. No more money, period.

If donations end, greek life begins to fade away.

Never "cut" a Legacy if the Legacy wants to be in your chapter.

You may not like him/her, but you accept them and make it work.

By: Life
by: Hahahahaha   

This mentality is probably why adpi cut you..... lmao..........

They take the best of the best and being a legacy isn’t an automatic bid you still have to be a nice and good person lmao but I don’t think you know anything about that

By: Hahahahaha
#6by:    

If a fraternity or sorority requires a 3.2 GPA to get a bid, then they are only looking at GPA and not the person.

Guys and gals, join some other organization on campus. Personality and heart is not based on GPA. Grade point average doesn't tell you who a person really is.\n\n\n\n\n

By: gpa
by: huh   

This makes zero sense

By: huh
#7by:    

Just want to say I've heard ADPi notoriously does not care about legacies. I knew a girl who was a double legacy as well( had a sister who was an active at UKs chapter) and they still dropped her. Idk whats up with them but... yeah. Every house is different but being a legacy isn't going to guarantee you a spot anywhere just like not being a legacy isn't going to hurt your chances

By: adpi
#8by:    

Legacy means "family member."

Never cut a Legacy.

By: Never
by: ..............   

Lmao this is the wackest way of thinking ever... can the same person not post on this anymore?? There’s been 5 posts from the same person who’s just hurt they got cut like damn get over it hahahaha

By: ..............

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.