facebook

how to officially drop sorority...?

by:    

So I'm in the middle of trying to drop my sorority before fall rolls around and they try to make me do recruitment or pay fall dues. I have poured over my sorority's by-laws and some UK panhellenic documents and found nothing about officially deactivating permanently. Is there a formal process to doing this that I don't know about?? I sent an email to my sorority president and finance chair that I wanted out and they basically passive aggressively said 'fine' after several back and forth messages of me explaining why I want to leave...but that's all I've got. I think I should be paid up on all my dues and stuff. But I am still getting the sorority-wide update emails from them constantly and my account on their website is still up with no way for me to terminate it myself :/ I don't have a single friend in my sorority that I could ask about this and I'm feeling really anxious about it. Kind of afraid to reach out to the board after how poorly they took just my email and I'm afraid they'll try to say I didn't pay or something like that. What should I do?? (Also, please don't try and tell me to reconsider or something - I have not connected with a single girl in spite of me going to our parties, volunteering, and going to every single required event plus it's just not worth the money or what I expected when I pledged last year)

Posted By: Rising Sophomore
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Hey girlie! Maybe try reaching out to your nationals and explaining hte situation. Let them know youve been intimadted so thats why youre calling them and I'm sure they will help you!

By: soda
#2by:    

You do not say when you made your decision but if it was during the final week of school, of course there was precious little time for your sorority sisters to give you their best and help you quit.

As mentioned in a post above, turning to your national HQ is a good alternative. Your sisters at the national level may be of mind to inquire into your reasons for leaving, so be generous and have a brief but fair answer ready. As you are their initiated sister, these women will truly value your feedback.

I hope you saved all your receipts from any payments you have made to this organization and its affiliates. From your description, you will need them.

If your dropping out has anything to do with not making grades, your national HQ may have already automatically changed your status to alumna. Be sure to let them know if you are dropping out/not returning due to poor grades so they can locate your proper status in their records.

If you ARE returning to school (but simply dropping this sorority) remember you can NEVER join another NPC sorority group. EVER.

Some sororities offer very limited options for you to go on alum status if you are still enrolled as an undergrad, but you state you are permanently leaving your sisterhood so I'll mention it only for others reading this post who may not be in as absolute a situation as yourself.

By: yeah

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.