facebook

rec letters

by: PNM

I'm from the north and I'm a PNM but there's not a big Greek life where I am from. Only one family member I have was in Greek life and she, unfortunately, passed away. SO what would you all recommend for rec letters? I know they cant be from family but do they have to be someone in the greek system or could it be a mentor or boss etc? Thank you for nay help !!

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: yayrecruitment   

Post on Facebook! Your friends or mutual friends may have been in sororities and you didn’t even know

By: yayrecruitment
by: PNMApr 17, 2018 9:22:39 AM

Thanks! but I already tried that like I said there is not a big greek life where I'm from. and I've even tried local colleges to see if any alumni would be willing to meet with me a few times if possible but no luck, unfortunately. Thank you for the advice tho !

By: PNM
#2  by: alumns   

Recs only count if they are from alumnae of the sororities. Ask your teachers, coaches, bosses, co-workers, mentors. Also, men know sorority women too so don't forget them. Another great way is to contact the nearest Panhellenic Association or the individual sororities' alumnae chapters, and you can also contact a sorority's national office if you need to; they know the alumnae living near you. Helping get recs is one of the main things these groups do. Have your resume ready to send to ladies from each sorority.

By: alumns
by: PNMApr 18, 2018 7:22:13 AM

Awesome thanks for all the help !

By: PNM
#3  by: recs   

yes even if you don’t know the women personally, they will be able to write a good rec based on your resume!! Good luck, recruitment is one of the best weeks of the year, we can’t wait!

By: recs
#4  by: bean boi   

honestly, rec letters do not pull that much rank. you sound super cute and thoughtful, as well as responsible. I say just go through with recruitment and the house that is best is going to bid you whether or not you have a rec letter. they really don't matter here I promise. you're doing great sweetie!!! everything will work out, trust me.

By: bean boi
by: ^Apr 21, 2018 9:07:41 AM

Do not listen to this bad advice by @bean boi. A rec will not help you get a bid, but not having a rec is one of the ways to get cut. When it comes down to deciding between a bunch of girls who are all just equally fine, the ones with no rec are an easy drop. Care enough to not let this happen; get your recs.

By: ^
#5  by: hmm   

I'm honestly not sure how much rec letters matter, but I had absolutely no rec letters and still got into a top house. Most of my friends didn't either. If you want them, I'm sure they would help, but not that much. If they hate you, they'll cut you regardless of having a rec letter and if they absolutely love you, they wouldn't cut you just for not having a rec letter. It's not a huge deal. I wouldn't sweat it!

By: hmm
by: ^Apr 22, 2018 12:18:00 PM

They liked you well enough to get a rec for you at the last minute so they could offer you that bid. You didn't know what was going on behind the scenes. That worked out well for you, but most girls will not be so lucky. It's a lot of trouble for a chapter to have to get that rec when none is provided so they only do it for their top PNM's. There is a lot in recruitment that a PNM can't control, but recs are completely in her hands and it's extra insurance for those who want their best chance.

#6  by: Advicee!   

I recommend also looking at the local alumni chapters in your area! Most large to medium cities have alumni associations for sorority women. I did that for chapters I didn't have a rec for and they were able to help me out. Most will find an alum for your to talk to. They'll most likely ask for a picture and a resume. If you go this route, I'd recommend also sending them a thank you note as well. If you're in a pinch, you could send an email to Lexington alumni chapters as well. Another place you could look is the Junior League. Many members are former sorority women and could also help you.

By: Advicee!
#7  by: Recs   

I'm from the north and didn't have any recommendation letters and got into my favorite house

By: Recs
by: ^Apr 27, 2018 7:06:09 PM

PNM's: Be sure to follow what this person did and DO NOT get any recs. You are sure to get your into favorite house, especially if you are from the north.

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.