facebook

gpa

by:    

What would be a "good" or "acceptable" Gpa for rushing a sorority in the fall? I know most other SEC schools recommend a 3.0.. does this hold true for UT or should it be higher or can it be lower?

Posted By: curious
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

ranges anywhere from 2.5-3.25 for incoming freshman.

By: It
#2by:    

UT does not have nearly as competitive admission as some schools. You should be fine.

By: Guest

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#3by:    

2.5 seriously? that low? I feel like that isnt very accurate...

By: really
#4by:    

That actually is an accurate range for incoming freshmen, but the minimum for most chapters is a 3.0. For current students, it's a little lower in some chapters. You can see for yourself by going to the Panhellenic website, looking under Sorority Chapter Info and clicking on each chapter. There is good info there including how many recs are needed, where to send them and the minimum GPA requirement. Should answer a lot of questions. Good luck!

By: ...
#5by:    

At 2.5 you'll have plenty of company. Admission to UT is not very selective.

By: Guest
#6by:    

^^...I love the comments from this poster...obviously someone who did not get into UT. Clearly they don't know the average GPA is one of the highest in the SEC. I seriously doubt anybody got in with a 2.5 unless they are an athlete.

By: Seriously
by: To Seriously   

Well, no clue about the poster, but I do know that UT gives .5 credit for honors classes from high school. No competitive university will do that because there is no common curriculum for those classes. That may very well inflate their admission GPAs. I've never known anyone denied admission to UT.

By: To Seriously
#7by:    

Auburn gives .5 for honors classes as well. I know because I applied and was accepted there. Many high schools don't weight honors classes, so many universities recalculate honors classes to put everybody on an even playing field. Oh, and by the way, I know plenty of people denied admission to UT. Say what you want, their ACT scores are high as well. Approximately 35% of the applicants are denied admission.

By: Really?
by: Joe   

Uh, you can't put Auburn in the competitive admissions category. Virtually all high schools give extra points for Honors classes. No competitive universities do.

By: Joe
#8by:    

My high school didn't weight honors classes and only weighted AP .25 points! I see you couldn't comment on UT's ACT scores...pretty high, huh?

By: Wrong again!
#9by:    

Some scholastic journal referenced UTK in an article about college admissions. This was in 2011, but it said UTK puts more emphasis on test scores than some schools do because everyone takes the same test and scores aren't weighted, so it's a better measurement of someone's performance and no chance of inflation. The average ACT for incoming freshmen that year was a 27. Not too shabby considering the national average is about a 21. Also, the average GPA for freshman admits was 3.87. So, you can try to dumb down UTK all you want, but facts don't back you up.

Also, I don't know of any high schools that weight honors classes. Most weight AP classes, but there's a difference between them and honors. Regular, honors and AP are the course levels for most high schools.

#10by:    

Not sure about the admissions conversation, but you should be find with a 3.0 GPA. You'll find UT to be a perfectly fine school--pretty average student population, less than attractive campus, but you can get a good education. I'm here, I'm Greek and I know.

By: JT
by: ...   

Pretty good description. I'm a Senior and I'll miss it but I'm not hanging around after graduation.

by: John   

Spot on

By: John

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.