facebook

discover usf showcase

by:    

I got two questions about fraternities:

1.) I only had an hour to meet 2 fraternities (Pi Kappa something and something Chi) at the showcase but I want to see more chapters and spend more time talking to the guys. I was wondering if there was any way I could talk to the chapters on Friday before Orientation is over.

2.) The guys at the tables were very nice, dressed up nicely and spoke to me in a very formal manner. They didn't really talk to me like I was a buddy and I felt like this was a job fair. I mean is this how I should be talking to fraternity guys. I mean I'm an outgoing dude who likes to crack up jokes, talk about fun stuff and just talk to my future brothers as my friend. Seriously, I'm not sure if I should be like "Hello sir how do you do" or be like "Hey what's up my name is ..." I hope you guys can relate to me, I'm just wandering if you talk to your friends like you would in high school.

Posted By: Orientation goer
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Visit Southfloridaifc.com and contact any of the Fraternities in which you may be interested in. All of the Fraternities have contact information listed and would be more than happy to meet with you at some point tomorrow!

By: IFC MEMBER

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
#2by:    

what about question 2? Like should I talk to them like they're my boss or something? I just don't want to make a bad impression.

By: orientation goer
#3by:    

Don't worry about "talking to them like they're your boss." While it might not hurt to carry a more professional attitude towards prospective fraternities to show respect, conversation does not necessarily have to be conducted in a professional manner. Just be yourself as you go through Rush, and try to find the organization that you can best see yourself apart of!

By: Bro,
#4by:    

Please don't judge all fraternities off of the Discover USF showcase. It can be difficult to talk to dozens of people in an hour span and not go into talking points, although when I used to do the event I tried to learn as much about you and how my organization could fit your goals for college. Just be aware that most fraternity men take their organization very seriously. This may come across as overly formal sometimes, but I assure you that the one thing we are all good at is having a good time. Rush week will be your best chance to get a more personal impression of what each fraternity is all about so definitely rush.

On how you should act, though? I always look for guys who I can 1. call my brother, and 2. share our ritual with, so "playing it in the middle" is a good strategy. I want to know that I can be your friend (and call you my brother) so definitely be yourself. But at the same time show respect to the organization by showing respect to the brothers.

By: IFC
#5by:    

I forgot to check this last night but I didn't really have time and I'm going back home. But the advice to approach fraternity chapters in the future could be useful. Thanks everyone.

By: thanks

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.