facebook

alpha omicron pi recolonizing winter 2014!

by:    

thoughts? :)

Posted By: winter2014
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

I missed their presentation, but I'm glad they are returning. What are they about? Give me the details :)

By: idk!
#2by:    

It's going to be interesting to see how they perform and fit in the existing Greek system. All the chapters were against a "stronger" chapter like APhi coming so I feel like we just got another mid-tier sorority.

By: eh
by: Wait   

I thought the official reason was that AOPi used to be at ucsd but they closed down in the 90s for some reason, so it made sense to bring them back over some new chapter. Are APhi and GPhi (the other ones) "stronger" nationally or something?

By: Wait
by: well   

APhi and GPhi are big in CA. AOII is "stronger" nationally, but does not have a plethora of California chapters.

By: well
by: to wait   

Its both reasons to be honest. The other two are pretty strong in cali, but at the same time it's almost always preferred to bring back a chapter that was once on a campus than to start over with a new one. I think everyone knew it was going to be AOII before anyone even presented. I was rooting for them since I found out we were open for expansion at least.

By: to wait
by: eh   

APhi is extremely strong nationally and they're almost always a top house. If they had arrived on campus they would most likely have displaced one of the current top houses or at least stolen a lot of the cute PNMs. About 50-60 years ago their nationals actually shut down the chapters that weren't performing well and started over from scratch, recruiting with alumni ("professional" sorority girls, if you will).

GPhi isn't as consistent though they are pretty large nationally. They're hardly ever top house (middle to lower), so if they had recruited with alumni it wouldn't wouldn't have been that intimidating for the existing chapters here.

By: eh
#3by:    

Didn't know they were on campus before? Were they closed because they violated probation or something?

By: hm
#4by:    

I see no hope for this group. In the last 25 years, something like 10 fraternities have disappeared at UCSD. In that same time, only one sorority has lost its charter - AOPi. Ethics violations, hazing and criminal conduct usually kill chapters, but this one died because no one cared enough to save it. Not nationals, not its huge alumni base, no one. So instead of moving fwd with a new group with strong national/alumni support, panhell decides to go backwards and bring this group back. Good luck with that one.

By: get real
by: Well   

Someone should, because ucsd panhel is struggling. Women need more diverse choices during rush.

By: Well
by: what lol   

Your comments are ignorant. Lots of chapters on other campuses shut down for the same reason, when they come back they very rarely fail a second time. It is a good thing that they are back and I wish them well this time around.

By: what lol
by: not sure   

if this comment is so ignorant. I don't agree with the dismissive tone, but the point seems to be that with recruitment structured the way it is, a chapter can survive with pledge classes of 10 to 15 for a long time. The fact that their charter was revoked suggests they were getting less than 10 which is awful any way you look at it. Sure, they can bring in girls from other schools to rush a founding class, but what happens when they leave? The alumni have already proven themselves to be inept or unwilling. I also disagree with the comment that there is a lack of choices here at ucsd given the number of panhel, cultural and special interest sororities we have. I think what the writer meant to say is that there is a lack of good choices in panhel and if that's the case, then why not bring in an APhi or ZTA? Why do we need another mediocre house? I don't know any chapter who came back stronger after their charter was revoked. Not one.

By: not sure
by: .   

Your argument is based on wild assumptions and personal anecdotes. I still fail to see why AOP would be worse than Aphi or ZTA. Perhaps you have friends from these chapters in other CA schools biasing your opinion? Maybe you were around since AOP dropped off ISS and havent graduated since then? Sounds like it.

By: .
by: check   

If you haven't heard of any chapters coming back stronger then you aren't very well informed. How often do you actually look at recolonization success rates? I'm guessing never. Do some research. Then come back here and lets try having this conversation again.

By: check
by: pack of gum   

Here's your research (CA only). Took me 30 min and I didn't even finish my pack of gum. Closed chapters: UC Davis (1997), UCLA (1973), Stanford (1944), USC (1990), UCSD (1998). Current chapters: UCB (considered bottom among 13 sororities), CSULB (bottom/11), CSUN (bottom/8), Cal Poly SLO (mid/10), La Verne (bottom/5). New chapters: CSUSM chartered in 2012; only 3 chapters so not fair to call them bottom. Sonoma State chartered in 2012; already bottom/7. Recolonization: SJSU lost charter in 1970, recolonized in 1988; bottom/7. Apparently tried to recolonize at Stanford and UCLA, but failed. They are gone from all major greek systems in CA with the exception of Cal where they are at the bottom. The one recolonization they did do in CA yielded another bottom tier house. Instead of refuting the facts, you attack the source. Very tea party of you . . .

By: pack of gum
by: LOL   

lol you spent 30 minutes figuring that out. on greek rank. brava.

By: LOL
#5by:    

GOOD LUCK AOPi!!!! We wish you well :)

By: GL
#6by:    

Is there any recent information on AOPi recolonization? Who will be running recruitment and when is it happening?

By: triton
#7by:    

wanting to rush winter quarter, does anyone know how AOPI is doing coming back to campus? what kind of girls are they looking for?

By: ucsd

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.