facebook

what does your sorority look for? tips for rushing

by:    

What does your sorority look for in PNMs? If you've been on the other side before, what has stood out to you in PNMs, be it good or bad? Any tips?

Posted By: 45243
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

Be yourself, but say something that stands out. We want to make a solid impression on you but you also need to do the same since there are so many PNMs. If you have something you're super involved in or passionate about, or you've travelled somewhere interesting, talk about it. That'll stand out WAY more than the girl who talks about how she watched all of New Girl on Netflix over winter term.

By: Hi
by: ...   

This. The number of conversations I have about TV shows is unreal. You want to stand out since we have so many conversations.

Also, ask questions! Whether that be about things our sorority signifies, what our favorite part is, what we do for our philanthropy, etc. While we want you to talk about yourselves a lot, we also want you to show an interest in us and get to know our sorority better.

By: ...
#2by:    

I know when I talked to girls, I was looking for people who were passionate. One girl I talked to who stood out to me told me how much she loved engineering and how she wanted to pave paths for women in the field and even though I knew nothing about the subject she really made a huge impression on me. Another girl talked about volunteering in struggling neighborhoods and how it changed her as a person. We want girls who are interesting and eloquent and intelligent.

As far as dressing or looks go, of course it's best to make as good a first impression as possible, because that's how we make our first subconscious decisions. We don't want someone who doesn't want/know how to dress the part, or who doesn't put in the time and effort to look nice for something as important as recruitment.

Overall, we just want girls who are in it for more than socials and hanging with fraternity guys. Despite what you might see on this website, there's a LOT more to a sorority than what frat guys think about you or your house. Show us that you're interested and invested in being part of a sorority. Hope that wasn't too much!

By: .
#3by:    

The simplest way to put it is that we want girls who we want to be friends with. Interesting, smart, funny, friendly, kind, insightful, beautiful, caring and most of all likeable. If I don't like you, I'm not gonna fight for you during voting. Don't go in the first day with the mindset that you are trying to decide who you want, or make us want you, go in with the mindset that you are trying to make friends, and the rest will follow. Ask us about ourselves, as us about or organizations, find out what we have in common! Our job is to do the exact same thing. My best conversations during rush last year had me laughing so hard I thought I was going to cry with the rushee, over stuff like our AIM screennames and how they fell onstage at high school graduation. We want girls who are going to be our friends, over anything else. Too many girls go in thinking we want "perfect", when in reality we don't care about that.

By: R
#4by:    

I'm a Junior & love my sorority a lot. That said, the chapter I ended up pledging was legitimately the only one I think I was myself at. I feel like if I'd just have loosened up a little more, I'd have had a few more options to choose from at the end of the day. Drink some hot (decaffinated) tea in the morning, close your eyes and take a few deep breaths, and just remember we're just as antsy to meet you as you are to meet us. There's nothing worse than feeling like you didn't get to know a girl's "true colors" because she was too tense or trying too hard!

I'd say "sunny but calm" is the best way to try to comport yourself during recruitment. If you're all buzzed out on coffee and/or nerves you will end up sounding like you're trying to rap a Nicki Minaj song. Seriously just try to relax, enjoy meeting new people in your bump group (you stand in line with them for houuuuurs and you will see them all over campus even after rush) and try to enjoy the fun parts of rush as much as you can. At the end of the day where you end up in Greek life is NOT going to end or drastically improve your life. Just try to find somewhere where you feel like you don't have to "try" to fit in - you just fit.

Lots of love to all of the potential new members! Deeeeeeeep breaths.

By: rush

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: pnm   

this honestly just made me want to rush that much more. this made me so happy

By: pnm
#5by:    

Ya'll have been soooo helpful, thank you for being honest!!

By: 45243

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.