facebook

should i "overstate" my gpa?

by:    

Everyone is telling me that everyone overstates their GPA during rush. I heard that if you don't do it, you won't get the good house you probably deserve. My GPA in high school wasn't great, but I'm doing pretty well in college so far. Should I exaggerate my GPA? Do they have a way of checking?

Posted By: confused
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

I'm going for a sorority

By: :)
by: ok   

Same rules apply

By: ok
#2by:    

how do they check your GPA with the school?

By: how
by: IFC   

with IFC, you have to submit it to rush, so they can check. not every fraternity will check, some do not care and will dirty rush you, but that is harder to get them to do, you have to be someone they really want in the chapter, and because of how strict panhel is, and how many girls rush, as far as I know, sororities wont even consider it.

By: IFC
#3by:    

I don't undderstand why they care so much about people's grades. To me grades are sort of a personal thing. That feels a bit like checking people's tax returns.

By: ^
by: Ok   

Grades reflect your dedication to academics. Organizations want intelligent driven people that reflect well on both themselves and the school. Also GPA is an easy tool to cut down girls in rush because there are so many of them.

By: Ok
by: ^   

Your GPA is a very small piece of who you are and it doesn't define you. Some people have learning disabilities. Does that make them less "quality" human beings? Some people have to work to support themselves. Some people have difficult majors or take a more difficult professor than another person. The fact that you would boil people down to a GPA is more shallow than asking for their parents's incomes. You should judge people holistically and by who they are. Let go of the need to bean count and boil people down to something so superficial.

We don't boil people down to their GPA, you obviously don't understand the rush process. Each sorority looks for very specific things in girls, but there are literally thousands of PNMs and first round cuts usually go by grades. It doesn't matter if you have a 3.2 or a 3.7 if you have a good personality, but if you have below a 3.0 it shows you probably don't try very hard in school. You're allowed to write excuses for bad grades though

Is a learning disability an "excuse?"

Obviously...

Such as ADHD like if i have a prescription from my doctor and everything?

#4by:    

If you have a GPA lower than the PanHel standard, you won't be allowed to rush. They will know. Also, that would be a really nasty surprise for your chapter and would have a bad effect on you if you were chosen by a chapter. My exec board can see every single member's grades online, as they're put in to BannerWeb. They will know. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

By: if
#5by:    

Rushing is a privilege not a right. You need a 2.5 gpa to rush, that is basically not failing a class or not getting all c's. Excuse like ADHD for not having at least a 2.5 GPA aren't relevant because that shouldn't cause such an issue. You're likely in 100/200 level classes anyway, shouldn't be that hard.

By: Seriously ?
#6by:    

I thought it was a 3.0. When did this change?

By: 2.5?

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: No   

Recruitment minimum has always been a 2.5, but most chapters require a 2.8 or a 3.0, so it's encouraged to have at least a 3.0 so you have a shot at every organization

By: No
#7by:    

If you're struggling to get a 2.5 your first semester of freshman year, you have much bigger things to worry anlut than rushing a sorority, no offense.

By: ...
by: Ahem   

...chem

By: Ahem

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.