facebook

rushing a sorority as a sophomore transfer

by: transfer student

hi! I'm thinking about transferring to Clemson as a sophomore this fall and I'm wondering how rush works for transfer students. i know all sororities take transfers since they have quotas for that kind of thing but i was wondering if anyone would be willing to share what these numbers actually are? I also am guessing (really just a guess) a lot of transfer students are in state or bridge students who may know a lot of people/possibly make up a good portion of transfers who get bids?
I’m at a well known college in new England with good grades and am involved. im from out of state and know a few current students in greek life from high school but in general I don’t know people. I know I can get recommendations for a couple sororities but can look to get more if they help?
im just trying to get a feel for how difficult rushing for someone in my situation actually is at Clemson and not sure where else to ask...and please be honest, being in a sorority is a huge factor in my decision. Any info anyone has on this would be so appreciated

Posted By: transfer student
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: You're fine   

The upperclassmen quota is not pre-set before recruitment begins. It depends on how many upperclassmen go all the way through recruitment and is set at the pref round. That means that you are not competing for a limited number of spots, you just need to see the process through to pref and you'll get a bid. There is no distinction between transfer sophomores vs second year Clemson students so there aren't any stats for you to go on. There is absolutely nothing you can do about any of this anyway. Concentrate on what you have control over. Yes, get your recs for each house! If you know a few current students in Greek life it will help you be on those houses' radars. You will be fine. Show up and impress us!

By: You're fine
#2  by: been there!   

hey! I transferred and rushed as an out-of-state student too. It's definitely not uncommon for transfers or at least second year students to go through recruitment. My advice would be to honestly keep an open mind, I know everybody says that, but it's really the truth, especially as an out of state transfer I felt like I had the odds stacked against me. It just seems to be the reality in many of the sororities at Clemson that in-state girls are preferred, or at least have a better chance because of hometown/family/friend connections. There is a second year quota I believe, I have no idea on numbers but my best guess would be 5>15. BUT with that being said you can totally end up somewhere great, it just may not be where you first wanted. I'm happy with the sorority I'm in now, but it was not my first choice. also, get used to telling your same transfer story 99999 times haha. The good thing about your situation is you have a cool story to tell, and being out of state can also be a great opportunity to share your story!! Don't be discouraged! Best of luck to you, I hope you LOVE Clemson, no matter what sorority you do or don't run home to!

By: been there!

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.