facebook

My Greek Experience (for curious pnms)

by: ucgf

This is my personal experience as I have been a member of a sorority at FGCU for several years.

Recruitment is easy compared to other universities. It really doesn't matter what you wear, so don't stress about it. In my group we have a solid list of girls we target during recruitment. I won't gloss over that looks are important in my group. Your grades and activities won't get you an invitation in my sorority. It is more of a friend group, so if you know someone you have a better chance than the next pnm. It's kind of like 13th grade and not a new beginning at college.

Membership is not that expensive, but you do need to ask yourself if you want to spend money to belong and remember the money doesn't end with dues. You will spend more on clothes, t-shirts, costumes, events, gifts and travel. Only you can answer if this is worth the investment. That is why many drop throughout their time at FGCU or even why many do not want to belong. They weigh out the cost vs the return.

There are rules and many are just dumb. If you don't follow the rules you are not going to enjoy being a member. Enough said.

There are cliques in the group. There are many like the "run the sorority" clique, the "looks" clique, the "frat" clique, the "mean" clique, The "kiss up" clique and others. Do not join and think it won't be like high school because it is just an older version of it.

I have met some truly nice people and made a few solid friendships. Some people ask me if it was all worth it. I feel it is all in how you look at it. Some days I will answer that it was well worth it and other days I know it was not. You can make the same friendships and fun without belonging. I think what I will tell a pnm is this is your one chance to belong and if it's something you want to do, just go it.

What I will say is I wish we had a house or at least an apartment on campus that represents our sorority. I also wish our sorority was larger in size. It is rough just meeting at the union building or another room on campus. It gives off a feeling no different than a high school club. I know if we had a house that membership, participation, and attitudes would likely improve.

I don't have any regrets being a member. There were times it was fun, but as with anything there were times I wouldn't have minded skipping out. I know the experience would have been different at a major university. One thing I will say is I won't look back wondering what sorority life was like. What I will say is I do not think it is necessary at FGCU and that it makes that much of a difference in making friendships or having fun. I also slowly learned everyone is in my group for a reason and our reasons don't always align. You can take from it as much as you want or as little as you want. One thing I will tell you is the time goes pretty fast. Whether you go Greek or not just be happy because you never get this time back.

Posted By: ucgf
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Core   

Loving your honesty.

To this day I scratch my head as to how my sorority picks its members. We lack group cohesion. We pass on great girls and grab questonables.

By: Core
#2  by: livi   

imo, pledge semester worth it, but rest no.

By: livi
#3  by: sam   

This is what being in a sorority is like at FGCU and the response posts these intelligent young women write about each other:

my fav
cutie
Gorg
slay
obsessed
holy hot
ur perf
stunnerrrr
beauty
cutie babe

This is what you are paying for to belong to these groups. It actually hurts my brain cells.

By: sam
by: sophDec 22, 2023 12:24:35 PM

lmao!

By: soph
#4  by: nat   

Why don't you ask the girl who was thrown out of her sorority if it was worth it. Her own sisters lied to get her tossed out. Yes, there are mean girls.

By: nat
#5  by: ftm   

I have learned from both sides of recruitment that blondes are repeatedly chosen over brunettes for membership. It doesn't matter what they have or don't have going for them. If you are blonde you move to the top of the pack.

By: ftm
by: linaJan 4, 2024 9:24:47 AM

^ True

By: lina

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.