facebook

Wtf happened to Greek week?

by: Alumni

I’m an alum who graduated 5 years ago. I still follow Duquesne Greeks on Instagram and I’ve been following the Greek week posts. WTF happened??? Only 6 contestants in Greek god/goddess? Greek sing used to be the biggest event of the year and now it seemed like a tiny little thing in the union ballroom. What happened that killed Greek week? And how do the Greeks feel about it? Do you miss it or are you glad it’s so low key now (or at least seems so)?

Posted By: Alumni
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Panhel/IFC Alum Here   

Agree. Seeing that it was held in the ballroom was very disheartening and falls onto Panhellenic and IFC. You HAVE to fight administration to prioritize Greek Life - otherwise administration will stop seeing the value.

During my time at Duquesne, there were several conversations around whether or not Greek Life belonged on campuses anymore. Other universities were doing away with them all together.

We need need need to make sure that we are taking every opportunity we can to show what this community does for the campus.

Panhel and IFC have a unique position being on SELC - use those positions. Show up to meetings. Have big conversations. Connect with leaders of other non-Greek organizations. Network with SGA and DPC (DPC in particular as they control funding for our events). Befriend administrative employees. Make our presence known.

If it was a funding or space issue, we gotta get better at presenting to DPC. For all of the money that Greek Life brings, it is ridiculous to have squeezed what was such a BIG event into a space where yall would have had to limit attendance.

Just no excuse for it. I was so disappointed seeing this.

By: Panhel/IFC Alum Here

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.