facebook

legacies

by: rush

I've heard from many people that rushed this year that legacies mean pretty much nothing. I know a girl that got into top tier houses that was double legacy in a middle tier house and got cut first round. Is it true that being a legacy means nothing?

Posted By: rush
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: no   

legacies do get special attention and consideration in recruitment... BUUUTTTT that doesn't guarantee a bid, especially if it's a more competitive house. You really never know until you go through recruitment and meet the girls for yourself.

By: no
#2  by: Robert   

Are legacies important to fraternities during rush?

By: Robert
by: for most fraternities noNov 29, 2016 6:24:57 PM

If you're a good guy and you fit in most fraternities want you whether you're a legacy or not. Pike is the only one I know of where it makes a difference.

By: for most fraternities no
by: DependsAug 27, 2023 10:55:28 AM

Yes legacies can get you considered by fraternities but it varies. Pikes are extreme about legacies and they go after them hard. But other fraternities are more ‘we’re glad to meet you but have to make it on your own’

By: Depends
#3  by: h   

for most sororities, being a legacy is a guarantee invite back for the first round, and if still in by pref, top of the pref list. unless it a ~top~ house or you really don't fit in, you'll most likely get a spot. it would look extremely bad on the chapter to not take a legacy, and to have to call up the legacy and explain why they dropped you.

By: h
by: idkNov 29, 2016 8:00:23 PM

KD's a top house and somewhere on greekrank someone said they had around 40 legacies in their pc16

By: idk
#4  by: yes   

I also got cut first round by the house my mother was in. I ended up in a great house but I was mad when i got cut bc my gpa was high and i was in good shape and i really connected with the girl i talked to. I could not think of a single reason why i was dropped. Legacies really do NOT mean anything here.

By: yes
by: $$$Aug 27, 2023 11:05:08 AM

Hahaha nosy relatives is not a reason to cut a legacy if you like the girl. No top chapter does that. Mom and grandma donate $$$ for philanthropy efforts and building funds.

By: $$$
#5  by: Legacy PNM   

I made it all the way to the third round with my legacy which is top-tier but I got cut right before pref so ya it really doesn't help

By: Legacy PNM
#6  by: yes   

I rushed and ended up at my legacy house.. it's considered a "top" house if you gaf about tiers

By: yes
#7  by: legacy   

a lot of sororities are moving away from automatically accepting PNMs based on being a legacy, but some sororities still do require special permission from nationals to drop legacies. normally, they only give permission if the PNM is completely crazy.

By: legacy
#8  by: Legacy   

In my opinion, no. It doesn’t matter. I got dropped from my legacy house first round after only talking to one girl.

By: Legacy
by: New gameAug 27, 2023 8:18:48 AM

Most sororities are no longer giving preferential treatment to legacies to be more inclusive. If sally is a first generation college student and her mom doesn’t know any women to give letters of recommendation and going through recruitment and every June, Beth, and sally are legacies to certain houses or have three letters of recommendation for each house than its unequal and not inclusive for Sally. Every one talks about being “fair” and “inclusive” until it affects them as they want letters of recommendations and preferential treatment.

By: New game
by: first generation Aug 27, 2023 1:17:32 PM

First generation clue in legacies were not done away by Nationals to help you but to help the National Chapters. As they had angry grandmother, greatgrands, and moms. The chapters wanted to choose their own girls and not be forced to take girls with 75 years of loyalty plus to a sorority. Equity is a convenient excuse but unless you have model looks or well-connected you're not getting in a top house. Most girls now under the new system at other schools do not even get to visit all the houses before being cut and going in person for round 2. Again, this was about Nationals not wanting to get into the middle of what current house girl's want in the chapters. It just was dressed up as equity just like volunteer work is dressed up as such value added that Greeks are doing. Truth people do not really pick their house based on volunteer work. Greeks need to be more honest.

By: first generation
#9  by: No!!!   

To reinforce what most everyone else has said, most of the national offices of the sororities made the decision that no special consideration would be given to legacies. For instance, it used to be that legacies would be invited back to the 2nd round of parties, after which they could be dropped. If they made it to pref, most of the sororities had a rule that a legacy would appear at the top of the bid list. But no more. Unfortunately, it appears that many of the chapters now immediately cut legacies, not matter how beautiful, smart, nice, etc she is. And the alums are disappointed and mad and quit making donations or volunteering, in protest of these new rules.

By: No!!!
#10  by: Top tier   

Legacies are liabilities. Sisters are fine. But Mom and grandma want to know too much and get overly involved. I am consider top tier and unless it’s a sister we cut legacies.

By: Top tier
by: $$$Aug 27, 2023 10:09:00 AM

Hahaha nosy relatives is not a reason to cut a legacy if you like the girl. No top chapter does that. Mom and grandma donate $$$ for philanthropy efforts and building funds.

By: $$$

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.