facebook

which sororities do fall rush?

by: sorority

I’m a pnm and I’m not happy with my options right now, which sororities will have formal recruitment in the fall?

Posted By: sorority
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Reality    

I’m sorry you’re not happy with your options right now, it’s always disappointing when a house you love cuts you. that being said, chances are some of the houses you have today are gonna be the houses that do fall recruitment (aka continuous open bidding). There’s no formal recruitment process with the 4 rounds in the fall, only spring. Traditionally the only houses that have done fall recruitment are aopi, adpi, axo, and zeta: if and only if they have spots they have to fill. It depends on what nationals wants and if lots of girls drop after formal recruitment/ if lots of seniors graduate. If you’re looking at houses like kappa, tri delt, theta, pi phi. kd, or chi o then your chances of getting in in the fall are slim to none because they usually don’t offer spots then. Better luck next year.

By: Reality
by: ...Jan 16, 2018 9:47:22 PM

Zeta has only done fall recruitment once and it was this year, pi phi did fall recruitment last year. Outside of the alphas there's no way of knowing who will do fall recruitment, so don't bank on your miracle bid falling out of the sky and don't count out the options you have left. You don't lose anything by just sticking around until the end

By: ...
#2  by: vu   

My advice is to stick with it, at least for the last two rounds. If you're still unhappy, drop before bid day and rush again next year. But there's a good chance that one of the houses you have left would actually make you really happy, and you have no way of knowing that yet. Sisterhood and pref rounds are your opportunity to really go deeper with your conversations and bring up all of the concerns you may have, because I guarantee that many of the girls in those houses have been through what you're going through. It's your call, but I think you might be surprised if you stick with the process and have open, honest conversations with the active members.

By: vu
by: @vuJan 15, 2018 1:43:06 PM

^agreed. The first two rounds are the most superficial and a lot of times you're still too caught up in being dropped from houses you thought you'd end up in. Not saying you're guaranteed to love the other houses after next weekend, but you really might. Like above comments aid, sisterhood and pref is when you really get a feel for what it'd be like to be in one of those houses, not just what it's like to talk to their sisters or your "ideal" of what it'd be like. I got dropped from houses I thought were perfect for me, stuck it out, and absolutely fell in love with my current house during the last two rounds. There really isn't any harm in sticking it out for the rounds, and if you really feel like you don't fit in there at the end, you can drop instead of signing a bid card.

By: @vu
#3  by: Franga   

I disagree with the people above. If you’re not happy with your options, you should drop instead of trying to force yourself to like houses that you won’t because that will just cause more turmoil for you, and it’s unlikely that your mind will significantly change.

By: Franga
by: —Jan 15, 2018 11:47:03 PM

This is simply untrue. I was left with houses I thought I really didn’t want for pref and then I gave it a chance and now I’m very happy. Even if you don’t end up with what you thought you wanted on bid day, I think it is worth it to spend a couple weeks in a house before you decide. The option to rush again will always be there until you’re initiated, but you could miss out on a house that wants you and loves you and that you could be really happy in if you never give it a shot.

By: —
by: realJan 16, 2018 5:25:57 PM

Ask yourself why you're not happy with your options. Is it because your ego expected to be in a specific top tier house - or did you truly not like the girls at the other houses? Could you not stand the sense of failure if you can't announce to everyone back home that you made a high status sorority? Are you that fragile? A lot of girls who walk away because their ego got bruised deeply regret it later. In ANY house you join there will be people that you love and people that annoy the crap out of you. But overall a very positive experience if you chose to make it so.

By: real
#4  by: senior   

If you are thinking about dropping because you only have "lower-tier" houses left and think you deserve to be in a higher tier sorority you are going to have to decide if being in a lower tier house is worse than not being in greek life at all. If you were cut from those houses freshman year, seriously low chance they'd suddenly like you more sophomore year, plus, only "lower tier" houses do fall rush because they're usually the ones with the room, but even they are selective and you can't bet on a bid from any of them anymore. Even aopi is getting more selective and cutting more people than usual so you're going to have to decide on greek life as a whole. Lower tier house or GDI forever?

By: senior
by: NJan 17, 2018 9:25:40 PM

Not gdi forever, just until next year potentially

By: N
#5  by: DND   

Stick with it! You can accept a bid, give it a real chance, and drop before initiation if it sincerely doesn’t feel like a fit. It can be overwhelming to process everything during rush, especially if you let tent talk get to you. Go learn more about the sororities that really want to get to know you. Just give it more time. There is no rush to drop out.

By: DND
by: hiJan 18, 2018 4:23:49 PM

if you rush and accept a bid and stay for awhile and drop before initiation it is very possible no house will want you next year. of the girls who sign a pref card as freshmen and then drop and rerush next year, it ONLY works if you drop immediately. you spend 3 weeks in a house and drop, no one else is going to want you and you'll seem super irresponsible and flaky. and houses do talk about all of that stuff.

By: hi
by: umJan 18, 2018 11:20:52 PM

on the contrary, as a girl in a "top house", id way rather have the girl who was willing to give another house a chance and really try to find where they fit rather than the one who thought she was too good for somewhere and dropped immediately

By: um

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.