facebook

what is pi phi like

by:    

If i am not a crazy partier but i like to a little bit, will pi phi be too much to me? do they still live up to this reputation? If you dont, will you still like it?

Posted By: Freshman going into rush
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

I feel like pi phi has a good mix, not all are huge partiers, they always end up with some girls that you wouldn’t think would be in a sorority. They’re mostly very chill and fun without all being wild

By: vandy
#2by:    

They go pretty hard and tend to be really proud of that. They haze with an emphasis on alcohol-related things so if you're not a big partier I'd be cautious about joining them. You'll probably find people to hang out with even if you don't go out a lot because really every house has a mix of people but you might not really vibe with most of them.

By: senior
by: Eh   

This is more true of the older girls than the younger ones.

By: Eh
by: uh   

this is not true on soooo many levels... all houses have a wide range of girls and the ones who fit in best at pi phi live up more to their chill/fun reputation looking for close friends who are similar

By: uh
#3by:    

Pi Phi has a "party rep" as in you will see a lot of Pi Phis out every night there's a party, but not every Pi Phi goes out four nights a week.( if that that makes sense) The party rep more holds true in that they are all very fun and enthusiastic but not as in they are all hard core drinkers. Just out going and social. I think regardless of how much you drink or go out as long as you like to be social and have a good time you will fit in well. unlike a lot of other houses Pi Phi has a wide variety of girls and one stereotype deff doesn't define the house. They have everyone one from huge partiers to a few girls who don't drink at all and everyone inbetween. I think the stereotype that is more fitting is down to earth, chill, and fun.

By: Pi Phi
#4by:    

I honestly feel like anyone who is chill and fun would thrive in Pi Phi regardless of how much you drink

By: Rt
#5by:    

Agree with most comments. There’s a mix but they are known to be chill and have a good sisterhood, so no one cares if you party or not. Kappa and Pi Phi have the biggest party reps, but Kappa is more sororityty and Pi Phi more fratty.

By: x
#6by:    

Hi I figured I would give an ~insider perspective~ but I would say it is completely ok to not drink or party and be in pi phi. The proportion of people who drink/go out is higher than other sororities, but i would say the pressure to party is actually less than that of some other houses, if that makes sense. Basically, a lot of girls go out but none will push you if you don't want to. I've always felt a "meet you where you are" vibe. If you are uncomfortable around people who party, probably not a great fit. But if you're accepting of that lifestyle in your peers, you will feel at home regardless of your own personal preferences. To whoever mentioned hazing above, there is NO hazing within Vanderbilt sororities. Spreading such a rumor is damaging to all of Panhellenic and to the PNMs who are trying to make a decision. You will be happy regardless of where you end up, there will be girls who party regardless of where you end up, and you will meet people like you regardless of where you end up. It would be concerning if sororities attempted/succeeded to get a pledge class of 50 girls with the same personality.

By: yo

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: ah   

Pretending hazing doesn't happen through blanket statements is even more harmful to the community because it doesn't prepare girls to anticipate / prepare / and avoid it.

If you join a sorority, there is a chance you'll be pressured, explicitly or implicitly (because you want to fit in), to drink more than you would otherwise. Black Tuesday is a great example.

Pi Phi does not have a unique hazing problem, and no sorority does, but there are more girls in Pi Phi who might pressure other girls for fun than in AOPI for example. It's all relatively chance and of course it's not guaranteed just because you join, and to be clear, this doesn't mean they're bad people.

Of course, there's very little that happens in Panhel that you can't walk away from, but that's easier said than done if you're nervous about fitting in.

By: ah
by: yo   

Some sororities (including the one in this thread) discourage or even forbid going out on Black Tuesday to prevent the exact behavior you are mentioning. If any PNMs here join a sorority that hazes or pressures members, please drop that sorority. It should not be happening.

By: yo
by: @ah   

Clearly you either were in a sorority at Vanderbilt 10 years ago or never have been. Girls should not have to anticipate/prepare/avoid it because it does. not. happen. And honestly making statements insinuating that it does behind the scenes is harmful to Panhellenic as a whole and could deter PNMs who would be incredibly happy in a sorority from actually joining one.

Also there is a big difference between a freshman THINKING she needs to drink/do things to fit in with a group, and a freshman being purposefully being told or influenced by upperclassmen in a sorority to drink/do things. The latter is incredibly rarely seen in Panhellenic, including in Pi Phi.

By: @ah
by: @ah   

No. Hazing is the practice of abusive, humiliating or harassing initiation practices and that is just NOT happening in Vandy sororitys. You are falsely trying to establish a positive correlation between partying and hazing. Just because some party doesn’t mean they are pressuring others to or hazing, which is a very serious and irresponsible generalization of Greeklife. You are misusing and throwing “hazing” around too casually, much like some do with “bullying.” PNMs you will not be hazed or abused, humiliated or harassed in any Vandy sorority. You will find a variety of girls and responsive leadership in every sorority. And, Pi Phis care more about your personality then your drinking habits.

By: @ah

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.