facebook

summer sorority rush ?'s

by: Secret Sister

Hey everyone! I hope y'all are having a great summer. I wanted to create a new thread for new questions for anyone, freshmen, sophomores, and transfers. Vandy hits you with a lot of information right when you get to campus. This thread can hopefully help you make sense of it and calm some nerves.

Posted By: Secret Sister
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: help   

im an incoming frosh. my older sis is a sophomore. we're both black. are we gonna get cut from a lot of the stuff we like? the "top 3" thing is whatever to us, we like other houses (even the "bottom" houses). but are we gonna get cut because we're black?

By: help
by: VJul 26, 2017 7:52:39 PM

There's been a lot of debate about whether there is a top 3 or 5 after the past couple of rushes, so be "whatever" about the whole thing. Not all the stereotypes you read online are true. Lots of it is either from trolls or insecures. Cuts and invites are more likely to be based on who you know or get to know, especially in the most competitive sororities. It's not personal as much as it's just easier to select people you know if you have more to choose from than spots available. Just get involved and meet as many people as possible in the fall. Most of all, be yourself and be very open minded. For the most part, there's a place for everyone.

By: V
#2  by: lol   

who's doing COB?

By: lol
by: VAug 4, 2017 6:43:22 AM

Check with office of Greek life. Most could, but not all participate. Some didn't make quota, some have openings from transfers, etc.

#3  by: nonsense   

Please keep your postings here respectable. The OP is knowledgeable and will be giving excellent advice (as she has done here before) in a new thread for Fall 2017. Thanks for making the new thread, Secret Sister, the old one was too long!

By: nonsense
#4  by: Rushing    

What gpa would a sophomore need to rush different sororities? Are there any gpa cutoffs for each sorority. If so, what's the highest

By: Rushing
by: VAug 4, 2017 7:24:39 AM

There have been threads on this. It's posted somewhere but honestly gpa not a huge factor at Vandy. Ask GLO if you're worried yours is low. And don't put too much weight on it if it's high.

by: rushAug 7, 2017 9:06:48 PM

While the school requires a 2.5, a lot of sororities cut at 3.0 to narrow the pool and eliminate anyone that could be a GPA risk

By: rush
#5  by: pip   

To freshman, please temper the comments of secret sister a bit as while for the most part she is realistic and for the most part honest about the state of affairs here sometimes she is a bit too optimistic. Its hard to speak for her (I wish she would comment on her POV a bit more) but I think last year she didn't always keep it real and this let some people down. This led to some people reading the posts and then being shocked when they were cut from all their favorite houses. Don't get me wrong, I think the secret sister posts last year were a lifeline/life preserver for so many of us but just tossing it out there for people to keep their own counsel and play their own game. For what its worth, I think the people that dropped early hurt themselves socially and so they lost more than they gained. We are lucky that we have a solid system with many great houses. I hope this year people stay until the end and let the process work (which is does for the most part!).

By: pip
by: VAug 4, 2017 7:15:04 AM

Disagree. She didn't let people down. People let themselves down. She was honest. The problem remains that some PNMs get their heart set on specific sororities for the wrong reasons. Rush is mutual selection, even at the most competitive sororities. Ask Theta. However, the most competitive sororities tend to rush PNMs they know. It's not personal. It's human nature. You might know them from before Vandy or get to know them during the fall. You might get swept up in a connected group of friends. The most competitive sororities tend to fill with similarly outgoing girls because again familiarity. Some PNMs try hard or have a second chance at what eluded them in hs, some just fit in easily. Many other PNMs don't care about all of this and do exactly what Secret Sister advises. Seriously, be yourself and try to make connections with girls you genuinely like. If you end up with an unexpected bid, get over yourself and give it a chance. The girls make the sorority, not the opposite. If it still doesn't feel right, then drop before initiation and try again with more knowledge from the experience and an open mind. Don't take it so seriously that it impacts your experience. And don't listen to sadly insecure people. They don't represent the majority in any sorority.

by: pipAug 9, 2017 1:21:36 AM

@V I think I get where you are coming from but my point was that I don't think SS was clear enough early on in her posts on how much of an 'inside game' recruitment here is unfortunately. It all became very clear how things worked as the thread developed but by then it was too late for so many people that had dropped or had been dropped. I did fine in recruitment last year not knowing anyone but as an outsider I have to say its shocking how many people knew each other coming into recruitment. I think this issue is a bit more extreme here vs some other schools. So, even though our recruitment isn't super competitive vs other SEC schools it was still surprising to see the extent to which recruitment is largely an 'inside game' for lack of a better phrase. All I can suggest to others that are 'outsiders' is to meet as many people as you can and leave a positive impression.

By: pip

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.