facebook

fall fraternity rush for sophomores

by: Curious

What is the rush process like for sophomores rushing frats? I didn't rush this year, for a lot of reasons, but now I'm interested in getting involved in Greek life next year. I'm just curious about how rush would go next year? Like how long is it, is there a focus on sophomores, etc. Ty

Posted By: Curious
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Former Sophomore Rush   

Fall rush for sophomores pretty much begins around the same time as the start of the fall semester and lasts until the very beginning of October. There is 100% a focus on sophomores during this time, although there are some dry events that also happen for the freshmen. Go to the sophomore rush meeting with all the rush chairs, you'll have the chance to meet and talk to any of them afterwards and get some numbers/get on their email lists. My advice is go check out a decent amount of frats at first, but narrow it down quickly. I highly encourage rushing as a sophomore, getting involved in Greek life completely changed my Vanderbilt experience for the better.

By: Former Sophomore Rush
by: Thank youApr 4, 2017 10:23:33 PM

This reply was helpful. I would like to hear more about what you saw as a benefit of being greek vs non greek. I am not the op and am not sure rushing is for me. Checking things out though

By: Thank you
by: Comment OPApr 5, 2017 5:32:56 AM

Glad I can help. To me there are lots of benefits to going Greek. First and foremost, joining a fraternity really allowed me to broaden my social network at the school. Not only did I become extremely close with my pledge class and fraternity, but I've also had the chance to meet and get to know tons of other great people who are part of the larger Greek community at Vanderbilt. Ever since joining Greek life, I've also improved my academic focus and my GPA. While this may not be the case for everyone, it certainly has helped me out as I've been able to get help and advice from other members of my fraternity whenever I am struggling. Another benefit is the ability to make a meaningful impact on the community as a part of a larger organization. Each Greek organization does weekly community service events and bigger philanthropy events at least twice a year. There are many other benefits such as leadership opportunities, but for me it mostly comes down to the social aspect (you tend to have a lot more fun in Greek life), and the support network it offers.

However, it is important to note that there are some drawbacks. The pledging/education period lasts around 6 weeks, and that is your life for that time. That does not necessarily mean it will be only hell, it can be fun too, and there is absolutely time allotted to make sure your grades don't fall behind. However the time commitment to being in a fraternity does not simply end after those 6 weeks, although it does lessen.

By: Comment OP
#2  by: Also Curious   

Do you need to know brothers in frats really well in order to get in as a sophomore? Or is gonna be like an actual rush, where they try to get to know you as well.

By: Also Curious
by: hiApr 9, 2017 6:54:07 PM

A lot of guys who rush as sophomores are transfers, so I don't think you need to know brothers all that well even if you've been here

By: hi

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.