facebook

dropping after bid day

by:    

i did not receive the house that i preffed but decided to go through with bid day anyways. if i drop after participating in bid day will this hurt my chances if i re rush? do people normally find more success rushing as sophomores or worse results?

Posted By: concerned
Page 1 of 1
#1by:    

you have until initiation in a few weeks to drop. give it a chance, you may find that you fit in really well there. no point in dropping now instead of a few weeks from now since you could really change your mind in the time between.

By: hm

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
by: Curious too   

If you end up dropping does it affect your chances at rush again?

By: Curious too
by: nope   

nope, every year there are a bunch of girls who get a bid somewhere and sometime before initiation they realize it's not a good fit. they'll usually rush again sophomore year and I've never heard of any sorority holding that against them.

By: nope
by: nope   

but let me stress: DON'T MAKE ANY MOVES FOR AT LEAST A WEEK!!! if you get a bid from a sorority and drop it before initiation you won't ever get another chance to pledge that sorority, even if you realized it was a really good fit. don't make any hasty decisions, just take a week and reevaluate.

By: nope
#2by:    

It should be said that very few that don't take the opportunity to join this year will end up Greek at Vanderbilt. Next year's focus will be on freshmen. That's just the way it is. If you really want to be Greek, give it a chance. Chances are really good that you will find great people you can be friends with in any sorority. Look at your opportunities to get involved, to be a leader, to make a difference. You can make it your own. Or you can find other ways to get involved outside of Greek life. Your choice.. good luck.

By: Keeping it in perspective
by: I don't know   

Sophomores have a quota system and go through too. So while there is a focus on freshman, you can rush sophomore year and there isn't a stigma if you handle it appropriately.. Girls rush sophomore year for a variety of reasons whether they had GPA issues, fell through the cracks, transferred, etc. It becomes more important to have friends in houses you are interested in. It's not that big of deal, but it's just as unpredictable. I think the bigger point people are making is before you drop, is give it a chance.

By: I don't know
#3by:    

Same thing happened to me. Felt like I was a lock for my first choice. I wasn't. Bid day was awful for me, even though most of my PC was happy to be in our "upper mid tier" sorority. I kept trying to smile but just wanted to cry with disappointment. I came this close to walking away but stayed with it. No regrets. I didn't really get to know some of the best girls in my PC until at least the second or third week. It kept getting better and better. Now I'm so glad I didn't miss it. I would have hated watching everyone else go on spring break together or do sig chi derby without me. Maybe it still would've been okay as a sophomore but I'm glad I didn't miss the whole freshman pledge experience. You should keep an open mind.

By: been there
#4by:    

my friend dropped her sorority on bid day since she preffed anothed house and rushed this year. EVERYONE thought she was going to get a bid to her top choice. she even stayed with them over fall break, but she got cut first round. sororities so hold it against you. I know mine did when discussing pnms this year...

By: lol
by: Wow   

Yikes

By: Wow
by: lol?   

You signed it "lol" so I would take with a grain of salt.

I know sophomores who have re-rushed top houses with success, and they have sophomore quotas so the houses do take them. I also know girls who stuck it out with their unexpected houses and are happy. I'm sorry for your friend. Dropping on bid day doesn't reflect well on her and I could see how that would be frowned upon. She shouldn't have signed the agreement or listed them if she knew she wouldn't accept the bid. She didn't give them a chance and it wasn't fair to them. And sometimes knowing girls too well can work against you. So, perhaps she or her circumstances weren't ideal or maybe there were other sophomores higher on their list. And hopefully you mean "depending on the circumstances" regarding your house otherwise that doesn't reflect well either. My advice is to give the house a chance. If it truly isn't a fit then drop, but be sensitive and handle it right so it reflects well on you and doesn't offend anyone. If you re-rush, be open minded again. Just like freshman rush, there are no guarantees, especially if you have your heart set on just one house.

By: lol?
by: Ty   

Wow

By: Ty
by: Hmm   

I'm curious who did that, especially since houses became more strict this school year on who can wear tailgating stickers

By: Hmm

Before you type:  Please do not post individual names, defaming content, or spam. Remember, cyber bullying can be considered a crime.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.