facebook

active sister ama

by: Secret Sister

I thought that it would be extremely useful for PNM's if I created a thread to ask me anything about Greek life. I am an active sister here at Vandy and believe that I have a good well rounded view on it. I will answer pretty much any question, except ones like what house I am from.

Posted By: Secret Sister
Post Reply Report
Page 3 of 5
#21  by: q   

How much does attractiveness matter? I feel like I see a good number of "top tier" girls who aren't, at least conventionally, super attractive. Does it matter if you're not super skinny and more on the slim thick side than the stick side?

By: q
by: EhAug 10, 2017 6:58:41 PM

There are so many other factors besides attractiveness. If you see someone in a "top tier" house who is not "attractive," it means she is 1. a legacy, 2. has a great personality, or 3. knows a ton of girls in that house who love her.

By: Eh
#22  by: First round   

So in the first round do they pair you with girls you have stuff in common with? If I already know a girl from my town in the sorority, would they put me with her or not because weve already met?

By: First round
by: YesAug 10, 2017 6:57:14 PM

They will often try to pair you with someone you know or someone you have something in common with (same major) just so you have something to talk about.

By: Yes
#23  by: cuts   

How many girls get cut each round? I don't know the actual numbers, but say 500 go to a house the first round, how many is the sorority allowed to ask back for round 2?

By: cuts
by: speculationJan 6, 2017 8:51:11 AM

To the best of my understanding, each sorority makes a list of all the girls they talk to in a general order (usually, but not always, legacies and friends first) and there is some algorithm based on how many girls want to come back after each round and how many girls they will eventually be able to have in their pledge class which is applied across the board. This is designed to maximize the number of interested girls coming back to the house; the algorithm selects the x number of girls that will eventually trickle down to the correct pledge class size, whether that's a smaller number for a house with a high return rate or a slightly larger one for a house with a lower return rate.

By: speculation
by: Secret SisterJan 9, 2017 1:38:43 PM

Each house has the same number of cuts. Typically top tier sororities use most of them after round 1, while other ones wait and gradually cut girls. Each house does it definitely, but each has the same limit! So that means Kappa and ADPi can cut the same amount of girls over the entire rush process. Using your initial PNM number of 500, say each house is given 350 cuts (this is me just throwing a number out). Top tier cuts 250 girls after round one and lower tier cuts 50, those who do not meet GPA requirements.

By: Secret Sister
#24  by: curious   

I heard a rumor that some sororities gave out bids to people under the table already because I know a girl who said she received one. How true are some of these rumors and isn't that a highly "illegal" practice

By: curious
by: Secret SisterJan 9, 2017 1:41:49 PM

This is bid promising and HIGHLY AGAINST THE RULES!!!! It is the biggest rule. Pretty much everything else, social media, texting, car rides, etc, can get blurred, but BID PROMISING IS NOT OKAY!! Report it if it happens to you, or else you could be discharged if you get caught. I know several girls who were bid promised by AXO last year and 0 of them received bids in the end. Do not believe in unofficial bids. They will get your hopes up and make you feel safe.

by: ttApr 5, 2017 12:04:43 PM

That is not ok and should be reported! No individual can guarantee anyone a bid because they aren't the only one making the decision. I know a few girls who were promised bids only to get cut. Their friends "didn't know what happened" after they were cut. PNMs do NOT believe anyone, even a friend, who promises you a bid. They might have good intentions, but they do not have that power. And if you are led on you might end up losing focus on other sororities. Keep your options and mind open no matter what.

By: tt
#25  by: East House Girl   

It seems like most people were invited back to 6ish sororities for Philanthropy Round, and I met several people who were invited back to 7 or 8. In display round, I was friendly and I discussed common intests with all the girls I met. The conversations (I thought) went really well, but I was only asked back to 3 sororities for philanthropy. I consider myself to be a "traditionally" attractive person. Is there any chance that I am that unlucky, or is it more likely that I said something wrong and didn't know it? I would appreciate any input from older sorority women.

By: East House Girl
by: Deep BreathJan 8, 2017 11:41:27 PM

Try to remember you only need one at the end! The best person you can talk to is your Gamma Chi. She knows you personally and can give you constructive advice and words of wisdom. Be careful about conversations with other PNMs because it is so easy to stress yourself out. Hopefully today went well. You have some time to talk to your Gamma Chi before the next round and you can make the best of the opportunities you have left. Focus on what you can still control and not on what you can't which is in the past. Good luck!

By: Deep Breath
by: SSJan 9, 2017 1:08:20 AM

Don't second guess yourself out by comparing your recruitment experience to others. You can only join one sorority in the end anyway so enjoy meeting the members of the groups that are inviting you back. Keep looking forward and stay positive.

By: SS
by: Secret SisterJan 9, 2017 1:34:02 PM

Connections and networking are honestly the most valuable things during rush. Often times houses you have friends in can be reflected on your party schedule. It could have been a GPA or lack of involvement issue. Just do NOT let yourself get bogged down by being cut. Most girls are NOT invited back to 6 houses. If that is what they said, you are either talking to a specific group or they were lying. My freshman roommate could never get over the fact she was cut down to 2 houses after round 1, was miserable throughout all of rush, and ended up dropping. We call round 2 a "wake up call" in my house, because many girls are told as long as they are nice, they will be invited back to pretty much every house. That is very much NOT the case. Unfortunately, a lot of girls do not realize this until after the first round when they only go back to 4, 3, or 2 houses. Try to stay positive.

by: East House GirlJan 9, 2017 4:46:00 PM

I appreciate the advice. I'll add to the conversation that my GPA was a 3.7 and I am involved in about 7 different campus organizations. I guess it hurt me that I never party.

#26  by: fresh    

Were people really eliminated from this many houses? The least I have heard of were 7

By: fresh
by: East House GirlJan 10, 2017 12:13:36 PM

Yes, really. I've got no idea why, though.

by: !Jan 10, 2017 7:14:25 PM

@fresh way to make her feel better that was super helpful

By: !
#27  by: Katie   

Bump

By: Katie
#28  by: C   

So neevous for tomorrow!

By: C
#29  by: JA   

Obviously everyone wants to get into the most popular house they can, but it is important to remember that no matter how pretty or rich or well-connected the girls of some houses are, if you you don't fit in with them as a person, you will not be happy there. Getting into a top-tier house may be super satisfying on bid day and make you feel all proud and popular, but if you don't really fit there, you're not going to enjoy your 3 and a half years there.

You may be someone that fits best with the girls in some of the "bottom-tier" houses. HOWEVER, if you are someone who cares about the tiers and perception very deeply, being in the lower-tier houses may not be feasible for you either. As someone in one of the three "alphas" there are quite a few girls who struggle with being in a "lower-tier" house. They may fit wonderfully and find great friends, and for most that is what makes their experience special and the rest stops mattering. But if you do care about that stuff deeply, remember to take that into account. If you won't be able to let that stuff go and stop worrying about that perception and enjoy your time in the chapter (which is what happens 99% of the time) you may be happier not in a house at all.

By: JA
by: __Jan 14, 2017 9:17:41 AM

Thank you. This is very well said.

By: __
#30  by: drop   

I dropped rush because yesterday I was only left with my bottom two houses that I could not see myself in at all. Now what? I got dropped by 5 houses between last round and this one and was aiming for some of the mid-tier sororities. I had above a 3.0, am involved on campus, and truly did have great conversations so don't know what went wrong... I still want to be involved in Greek life and honestly have no idea what to do at this point. Would it be a bad idea to rush again next year if cob doesn't have enough options?

By: drop
by: SameJan 14, 2017 3:22:27 PM

I'm in the same situation. My Gamma Chi said that there is no stigma around rushing as a sophomore, and that's what I hope to do. I also really want to eventually be a part of Greek life! I know you are probably just as frustrated and disappointed as I am, but don't worry. I've met so many people who are considering the same thing that we are.

By: Same
by: dropJan 14, 2017 4:07:37 PM

Thank you for the reassurance @same! I'm just scared that they say that and then in reality, you're likely to end up with the same results

By: drop
by: YesJan 15, 2017 12:05:25 PM

Re rushing as a sophomore is much different in that you will likely be invited back to houses where your friends are pulling for you in the early rounds (giving you more time to really get to know other girls) but don't expect to get a bid from a top house where you have no friends going into rush

By: Yes

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.