facebook

dropped from top house, snap bid?

by: pnm

Im a pnm that was dropped from the houses I had remaining that I loved today. I asked my rho gamma about snap bids and she sad that absolutely does not happen at smu, yet i’ve heard so many rumors about. Do snap bids happen here?

Posted By: pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Barely    

No. Maybe one house will have one but it’s rare, only exception is sometimes GPhi does but even they haven’t done it the past two years.

By: Barely
by: SeniorHereJan 17, 2019 1:26:25 AM

Does no one remember a few years ago Theta giving out a ton of snap bids because they messed up their list? Snap bids have happened in every house on SMU, tier doesn't matter. Snap bids usually mean someone really messed up with the list or a sorority got zealous during cutting and overconfident in the girls they would get back. It's rare but it does happen.

Its definitely not something to count on though. If you count on a snap bid happening to get into a house you really want, you may as well start playing the lottery too because you'd have to get incredibly incredibly lucky.

By: SeniorHere
by: MeJan 17, 2019 11:53:18 PM

Sororities don't get zealous in cutting. We are told by Panhellenic how many must be cut each round. That's all based on historic return rates. It's all automated.

Also, that never happened to theta. Try talking about something you actually know about instead of a malicious rumor.

By: Me
#2  by: A   

Yes snap bids do happen. Just not that common

By: A
#3  by: - so sad   

Sorry to hear you are now among the 250+ high quality SMU pnms that will be corralled into bottom-tier sororities. You are sitting in your dorm room in mid-January realizing you will be a member of a socially deficient sorority or a GEED, GDI in a financially exorbitant socially Greek Life dominated university.

MORE to Follow.

By: - so sad
by: wutJan 16, 2019 9:21:51 PM

you have just been dying to post, haven't you?

By: wut
by: 2018 Good PostJan 17, 2019 1:25:22 PM

Posted Summer 2018.

Over 200 2018 Freshmen Ladies have transferred away from SMU due to its' rigged Legacy-Filled 2018 recruitment. Relying on SMU and Panhellenic made recruitment a 2 semester almost $100,000 Hellacious Ordeal. That will take up to a year of continuous classes at another university to fully recover.

Most of us are now attending summer sessions at our new university to catch up for the lost credits that did not transfer. We will have to go through recruitment again and pledgeship as a sophomore at our new university. Then continue into summer session in 2019 to catch up on the remaining lost credits in order to graduate on time with our peers. Yes, we are tired of SMUs Panhellenic rigged predetermined recruitment then their cover up spins.

By: 2018 Good Post
by: Another FailureJan 18, 2019 11:59:23 AM

There were @700 PNM ladies going through Rush this week. Each of the 8 sororities had @60 open membership openings, 480 total. Most of the PNMs wanted to join one of the top 5 sororities, 300 total.

There are 220 to 400 disappointed, depressed freshmen PNMs tonight.
SMU must offer better social life options if they want almost $100,000 per year in total costs each year. Relying almost exclusively on Greek Life for a campus social life only serves those entitled, privileged 300 legacy ladies that join their sister's, mommies', grand mommies' top 6 sorority each year.

2018 Summer Post

The above response posts are obviously from Panhellenic and sorority members 7 & 8. After reading these factual posts from ladies brutalized during the 2018 recruitment, I agree and sympathize with them.

Panhellenic again allowed legacies to engulf the Pledge Classes of sororities 1-6. Leaving well over 200 freshman ladies paying over $75,000+ a year to accept a bid from a sorority they were not interested in or be a GDI / GEED. Most of these 200 ladies transferred to other universities. SMU must make changes to its recruitment or face another disastrous failure in 2019.

By: Another Failure
#4  by: rush    

The only houses that give out “snap bids” are the bottom two, sometimes dg. Top houses NEVER do that... don’t count on it.

By: rush
by: SnapsJan 17, 2019 10:18:11 PM

@rush You don’t know what you are talking about. Snaps have very little to do with tiers.
COB is more prevalent in mid/lower tiers and not the same as snaps

By: Snaps
by: COB MirageJan 17, 2019 11:23:04 PM

COB, Continuous Open Bidding is the last method lower tier sororities try to corral the newly top & middle tier sorority shunned PNM into their deficient sorority. Panhellenic will encourage these shunned PNMs to participate knowing well only the bottom 2-3 sororities are involved in COB.

This additional time & effort in COB will take the shunned PNM past the 50% tuition & housing refund deadline. Entrapping them at the university for the Spring semester.

PURE EVIL, by design each year.

By: COB Mirage
by: thetaJan 19, 2019 1:40:59 AM

Theta did this year. So much for your vitriolic (and ubiquitous) posts.

By: theta
#5  by: Go Greek   

If the houses released you, you would likely not be on their snap bid list if they were to miss quota. Many houses have a “once cut, always cut” rule. They’ve already decided you’re not a good fit for their sisterhood. I’m sorry, but if you have houses left, you need to treat them like they’re the only sororities on campus because they’re your only chance to go Greek.

By: Go Greek
#6  by: No   

Snap bids are very rare here, don't get your hopes up

By: No
#7  by: & another   

Posted Spring 2018

Our point exactly. Only at SMU Freshmen recruitment takes up 2 semesters. Freshmen recruitment begins in the Fall semester and completes after the second week of classes in the second Spring semester.

Freshmen only learn of their finalist on pref day, after the first week of classes during the second Spring semester. After learning of their final bid options, freshmen were given 3 short days to drop all classes and move out of their dorm or face a 50% refund cut to their fees paid in advance to the university.

Very few freshmen drop from the university after their first semester because they are given false hopes, encouragement and often verbal bids from sororities 1-6. Then in late January, reality hits at pref day. Over 200 ladies shunned from the sororities that told them they would be a great fit for their sorority.

An unnecessarily mean, hostile process for SMU's best and brightest.

By: & another
by: Band CampJan 18, 2019 1:06:12 AM

One time, at band camp, I was ineligible to play the tuba bacause my shoulders weren’t broad enough. Over 200 beautiful tuba players transferred because of their narrow shoulders or were forced to pursue lesser instruments.

By: Band Camp
#8  by: omg   

Somebody shut up the girl that posts on every thread about the unfairness that she didn't get a bid from her first choice house and only got bids from the two lowest houses and SHE'S MUCH TOO GOOD FOR THEM! All our houses are good and people who get a bid from any house will have a wonderful experience!

By: omg
by: MeJan 17, 2019 11:57:32 PM

Seriously, that unhinged psycho comes on here every year to post the exact same gibberish. She needs to be committed

By: Me
#9  by: rho gamma   

Multiple houses gave out snap bids this year. As the first comment states, it has nothing to do with tier, just the way that cuts worked out. However, snap bids happen directly after the houses receive their original list. Now it is only COB which only the lower houses do.

By: rho gamma
#10  by: Here's an idea   

If those 250+ (it used to be 200) so high quality powerful ladies decided to join the bottom two sororities instead of transferring, wouldn't those two sororities be the most amazing on campus?

By: Here's an idea
by: ThJan 28, 2019 4:36:23 PM

True facts

By: Th

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.